Running a Generator in the Rain

Planning some trips. I have my Honda 2000i mounted on my rear platform and was wondering if it's OK to run it while it's raining. I know many members have a generator mounted on the rear of their rigs. What do you guys do when it starts to rain? 

When the National guard was here during forest fire watch they put a cardboard box over their Honda when it started raining and it caught fire during the night. I saw them the next morning, was not pretty...

Oh No! I know my manual says not to run the genny in the rain but I've read many posts of Honda generators running in the rain. I want to run the Honda while driving and would hate to turn off the generator if it starts to rain due to no AC! 

Yea jj I've admired your cool box but I don't have a box:-)!

The problem with boxes is the heat & exhaust are somewhat trapped. 

I run a honda 2000 - sets on 2x4's two tall - put a small tarp over it pup tent style with boards or rocks weighing the sides.  I place usually in front but occasionally behind camper close enough to use a bicycle cable lock and also the front of the gen is protected somewhat from driving rains.

Edited by DanAatTheCape

Thanks Dan, yea I hide my genny under the rear platform if raining and I'm boondocking. I'm wondering about running it while driving in the rain?