Generator install

Dion

My 88 Sunrader has a rear bathroom, and behind the stool is a closet that has a storage space underneath it that is accessible from the outside. I have a Champion 2000 watt Inverter that looks like it would set in there with room to spare. Does that seem like a viable idea? I think I would prefer that to having it on the rear bumper. Has anyone here ever done that? It doesn't seem like it would be too daunting. Fueling might be an issue.

Its not a generator box, so running it in the box is a bad idea. Transporting it is OK, if it has a vent lock on the gas cap.

Just remove it from the box and chain it to the rear bumper and go for it.

Thanks, I understand what your saying, but I can't help but wonder what it would take to turn it into a generator box. Aside from venting, cooling, insulating, is it merely a matter of strengthening the box? the inverter only weighs 48 pounds, so it doesn't seem like I would have to beef it up too much.

Well other than venting, cooling, insulating, and sealing against carbon monoxide not much else;)

My buddy hunkaman made a crate for me out of 2 large milk cartons fastened together and installed on my rear platform that holds my Honda 2000i securely. I can chain it to my bumper for security and it works perfectly there. Can fuel up the generator without removing it. I'd be very leery of carbon monoxide poisoning running your generator in an enclosed area even with ventilation. Carbon monoxide is odorless! 

thinking out of the BOX, (literally, in this case!), have you thought of fabricating a sliding platform? with your genset mounted to a sliding platform, you could operate it, safely,outside the box. with a removable door or one hinged in the correct direction, you could easily slide the genset out for use, and back in for safe transport and storage. with a little thought,creativity and time, i am sure this approach could work. just another persons thought. joe from dover.

On 5/5/2017 at 5:10 PM, Dion said:

Thanks, I understand what your saying, but I can't help but wonder what it would take to turn it into a generator box. Aside from venting, cooling, insulating, is it merely a matter of strengthening the box? the inverter only weighs 48 pounds, so it doesn't seem like I would have to beef it up too much.

If you Google Honda generator sound box, enclosure etc you will find much info on running small genset in a box.  Most of this info applies to Honda 2000 so if you have something else pay close attention. Here is a pic of mine.

aaa.PNG