Well, my 22reperformance motor finally was installed and i can report my first 40 miles.

first thing noticed, super smooth running and half as loud as oem original. Next thing I noticed, way different power band. No longer strong right off the get go but once moving top speed is easy maintaining 75 if i want it to. That was not even an option before. Also noticed the motor is not seeking and shifting gears all the time and when highest gear gets hit up hills it no longer screams like a goose being stabbed  by a hot fire poker. I also seem to be getting far greater mpg.  Time will tell but so far it's excellent. Definitely will slow me down a tad in and about towns but speed me up on the freeway

Edited by Totem

Wow Totem Nice!! Why the different power band? Did you previously state around 4K for everything including installation? Interesting to find what your MPG are now versus the old engine.

On 5/5/2017 at 11:01 AM, Derek up North said:

I'd guess mainly due to the different cam specs. Often what you gain on the top end, you lose on the bottom end.

This is VERY true. I find its a little sluggish at a red light going green, however it a great thing if you are a passenger- not getting buffeted around in the back like a weeble wobble. Definitely an improvement 

On 5/5/2017 at 0:26 AM, linda s said:

So what specs did you order on the engine. They are so close to my son's house getting one would be a snap.

Linda S

This is a stage 2 engine that they made to push a motorhome. Jim's supposedly the best 22 re builder in the USA. Living next door to him wont however make getting on a snap. They took over a year to build mine. Very slow.

HEY THERE TOTEM, is your "new" motor a standard 22re that your builder "beefed" up with non standard parts, like a different cam, or bigger pistons, etc. or is the "performance" 22re, a separate production run of the 22re motor? just curious. thanks. joe from dover

"22RE Performance" is the name of the company that built the engine. They build semi custom stockers and full custom 22RE engines.

• 2 weeks later...

I went with their stage 2, per WME's advice. It's exactly as he described it would be so far.

I hate to ask this group a sensitive question but I have halted driving the motor until i feel better educated.

The crew over at performance recommended "break in oil" aka mineral oil for the first 500 miles then an oil change to Dino oil.

My mechanic installed it with Dino oil, and I put about 178 miles on it before he finally returned my call with that info.

He gave me some "break in additive" which claims to have Zinc in it. He also says he thinks that request for break in oil is no big deal - like as if its superstitious...I told him.. well it is a newly manufactured motor from the 80's....and that's when he gave me the Zinc additive.

What are your thoughts on this all? should i go get the Dino drained and get some real break in oil or has that ship sailed at 178 miles?

Also, I got my old 22re OEM motor back. I'm able to see into it and where its oil leaks were. there is some kind of seal in the front thats leaking oil; and the channels and passages of the head looked heavily caked with coke and soot. It had 88,000 or so on it when removed.

Mineral oil is a misnome, your fine with what's in it. In the OLD days break-in oil was a single weight low detergent oil. Now days mfg put in normal oil and just recommend a short oil change for the " break-in". The really HP engines are shipped with synthetic oil from the get go.

Old OHV pushrod engines ( not 22re) sometimes have cam break-in problems so there are hi zinc break-in oils . A few year ago the diesel engine oils were good to use on older engines BUT they have been reformatted for use in DEF diesels and are worse than normal auto oils.

One of the better old school oils now is the Valvoline  VR1 oil. Best thing  to do is contact 22re performance and see what they recommend for oil after the first oil change.

thats just it 22re performance were the ones saying to do it, but a look at their site now has the requirement removed. the new site seems cool. I also notice they no longer sell the break in oil. must have been snake oil.

Just for grins I went to the 22re Performance site and did some reading... They are calling dino oil-mineral oil as opposed to synthetic. So just press on. 

Actually Jim doesn't want the old motors at all. he manufactures all new ones for the heads, the cores he does start with the oem cast blocks. I had asked them if there was a core swap program and they said they initially used to but dont any more because people werent getting more than a hundred bucks for their original motors and its better to keep them.

Right now I am in the futile exercise of trying to find a dead motor or motor-less 4Runner that was setup with a 22RE.

I'd like to drop my old one in it if I can find it and keep it as a reliable SUV.

• 10 months later...

Just a quick update to this for anyone looking to find a good runner thats bolt up... I still have my OEM motor on the pallet ready to go if anyone has a blown motor and wants to bring life into one of these old rigs.

So if you need a good running 22RE with perfect compression let me know I wouldn't mind selling it. On the flip side if you have a blown 22re 4runner for sale let me know that too I'd like to buy it to drop my motor into....LOL

Edited by Totem

• 2 months later...