I've got cruise control in my '88 Sunrader but until a few days ago it wan't hooked up to the throttle.  I hooked it up and it all seems to be in operational condition.  It's the motor driven type, not the vacuum type.  I'm wondering if there are any words of wisdom about how to best utilize this device.

I'm asking because the first time I tried it out I set it at about 60 mph in 3rd and it tracked fine on reasonably flat freeway.  I ran for about 5 miles.  All good.  Then I think I hit coast, slowed down to about 45 (Atlanta traffic...) and then I think I hit resume. I can't remember if this is the exact sequence of buttons, but  all I know is that it then tried to accelerate (I assume to the setpoint of 60), but that didn't happen very quickly and so it kept accelerating until it finally kicked into 2nd at about 55 mph and shot the RPM up high to ~4500!  Being a cruise control newbie/idiot, instead of simply hitting the off switch I shifted the gear to neutral instead of drive in my panic.  I could have hit the brake to turn it off, yes, but I didn't (cruise control newbie).  Unfortunately the cruise control _kept trying to accelerate_ (in neutral) and drove it up to 5500 rpm before I managed to turn off the CC at the "off" switch -- and then all dropped back to normal.   Whew, and Dang-it!  I'm writing this post to find out if anyone has any comments or knowledge to share that would avoid this kind of issue in the future. 

Do I just need to be more careful with how I use the CC device?  I'm guessing that it was just my own dumb fault for letting it get so far behind the set point and I should have known that it would basically floor it to try and get back up to speed....   I'm taking the approach that if I get a clue about exactly how the device works and then use it carefully and correctly then I shouldn't have such a problem again.  I'm just a little skeptical of this maniacal device now because it was so easy to red-line it with a cruise control newbie/idiot in the driver's seat...  If I set it to, say 65, I do _NOT_ want it kicking into 2nd if it gets behind and I'm not paying attention and it decides to floor it to get back up to 65.  I'm planning to tweak my gain control to get it to track most efficiently, but I am still skeptical about this thing dropping me into 2nd at high speed because it's gone to max acceleration.  Does anyone ever have that problem?

It seems to be a very basic (I'm going to say dumb) device with a servo motor to control the throttle, I think it only has speedometer feedback (no RPM feedback it seems?...) and the frequency and gain knobs controls the way that it 'locks' when engaged and how aggressively it will try to maintain speed.  It has a link to the brake light circuit (and the blinkers) to turn it off if you push the brake. But it doesn't know about what gear you are in and it doesn't have a "max" acceleration threshold or a max RPM threshold it seems.  So it's a very "manual" (again, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say 'dumb') cruise control and one needs to monitor it carefully if you come to a hill if it can't keep speed.  And Obviously one should not be an idiot and 1) hit resume way below the last set-point, and 2) shift into neutral with cruise engaged.  Those are two dumb things to do that will send the RPMs towards the red line with cruise engaged.  

I'm willing to give this gizmo another chance and try to be more careful and learn how it works, but I'm interested in knowing how others use it.  Do you have to constantly monitor it?  When it can't keep up what is the safest way to kick out of cruise?  I'm guessing that there is a relatively straight forward process to using it safely and effectively but clearly I don't know what that is yet.  Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I'm trying to not use overdrive at all these days.  I just want to run it as a 3 speed automatic and hit about 62 to 65 mph, which is around 3500 to 3600 ish RPM.  She winds up and runs with plenty of power in 3rd but it will still (duh) bog on a hill.  I figured that cruise control would be handy along reasonably flat roads because with the RPMs high it should be able to track a set point of like 63 mph without too much trouble.  I guess I just need to stay aware and if it looses steam up a hill I need to take it out of cruise correctly.

If it's a 4 cylinder don't expect much it flat does not have enough power to make it work real well. Stepping on the brake should disconnect it if it doesn't have some one fix it right away.

We have used our cruise control quite extensively up and down the Pacific coast over the years. It works wonderfully! Of course it's not made for twisty roads or steep hills. Our setup is a 22RE with 4-speed manual transmission.

I agree with Rogue Runner. I use my CC all the time, but it is not on all the time. Confused?  When a hill-incline comes up I disengage it so as not to force a down shift. I will manually disengage the OD and down shift. If the hill is long enough I will engage the CC while in 3rd or 2nd gear and be on my merry way.  3.0 v6 engine automatic.

Darrel