Well I never

Dion

There were 2 versions of tag axles that Ive seen.

Faux duallys and a tag axle, more rare is two wheels per axle.

57 minutes ago, WME said:

There were 2 versions of tag axles that Ive seen.

Faux duallys and a tag axle, more rare is two wheels per axle.

Based on the narrative, this rig has foolies and a tag axle. Well at least if the foolie breaks, the tag axle should keep it upright.

I've seen them with both single and foolies on the 2nd axle. I've only ever seen tag axles on 1979-1981 motorhomes. Obviously tried because they knew there was an axle issue and since they gave up on the idea in 1981 it obviously wasn't the 'better idea' they'd hoped for! :)

1979_Toyota_Dolphin_300_tag.jpg

1979 Dolphin 300 Micro Mini.pdf

1979_Toyota_Dolphin_300_tag Cover.jpg

3 axles also means a 55 MPH  MAX speed limit on California roads

Don't ask how I know... And yes even a tiny trailer counts as 3 axles

8 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Is that a (hopefully) California only thing, or did other States go insane as well? :)

About 15 years ago I was heading to the Mojave desert on the Interstate I-5 from Oregon (which does NOT have that 55MPH thing) into California which had signs on I-5 stating 65, or 70 / Trucks 55. I was doing 67 in a 70 zone with my Toyota pickup pulling a small bike trailer with a small 250 cc bike, cost me $280, plus I drove the next 1400 miles at 55 constantly almost getting rear ended by vehicles doing 80. Real fun. I finally decided on the way home that it would be safe doing whatever the local semi's were doing. Several years later California put up 2 signs, the first 65 MPH and a second sign a few hundred feet later "Trucks / 3 axles or more 55 MPH". In Oregon on the same interstate Federal road it is still 65 / Trucks 55 and everyone  even big class A motorhomes pulling automobiles goes 65 without a problem. Heck Oregon even allows trucks to pull three trailers (at 55). Did you notice that this Dolphin is an undercover DEA unit ? (see plate)

I like the 55 mph limit on big rigs in California. I get blown around on the road enough without having those huge things blow by me. Besides most are really doing 60 and that's my sweet spot. Sit comfortably behind them and cruise. Best mileage and enjoy the trip more not worrying about other traffic.

Linda S

That generator install has me thinking. My 88 Sunrader has a rear bathroom, and behind the stool is a closet that has a storage space underneath it that is accessible from the outside. I have a Champion 2000 watt Inverter that looks like it would set in there with room to spare. Does that seem like a viable idea? I think I would prefer that to having it on the rear bumper. Has anyone here ever done that? It doesn't seem like it would be too daunting. Fueling might be an issue.