Portable Generator Help

Iflyfish

It looks like we will be boondocking in our '87 Sunrader for a while and I am looking to buy a small, portable generator to charge batteries for my cpap etc. Any ideas? What is your experience. Weight is of course a serious consideration. I know that there are lots on the market, I just wanted to check with you guys.

Thanks,

Iflyfishjuiceless

I have the Harbor Freight 2000/1600w inverter generator, so far so good. With the usual HF coupon/catalog search I was able to get it for $429.

Plan B ?? A 200w solar kit is $300.

the HF clone of the honda eu2000i is less than half the price of the honda. i have been a HF customer for over 25 years, and i have found that most of what HF sells is just fine and will do the job as well as the more pricey brands. i would only have concerns with the HF genset, as pertains to parts replacement. maybe WME knows about parts availability since he has one. my thoughts would be, if i am boondocking, i would want a very reliable genset, or at the least have spare parts on hand if  an emergency repair was needed. joe from dover.

Also it seems that HF discontinues many items after a short run (how long has the Honda 2000i been around) and then changes the models. They have cheap gensets but how to get parts when the item is discontinued?? 

All the above...yes. I got an extended warranty of 2 years. The 2000w generator is the newest so it should be around for a while. A dead generator while boondocking is normally not a "fatal" problem, but an annoyance for sure. It won't run my AC.

I agree with Dan. My Honda 2000i does everything I need it to do including running my roof top AC. Expensive: Yes. Reliable: Exceptional. Parts: Available. You can't go wrong with a Honda!

I am a big fan of the Honda 2000 and have 2 of them. For second choice I would have a hard time choosing between HF 2000 and the Champion.  The 1000 watt unit is also often chosen, the 2000 watt inverter type will run at lower RPM on medium loads, so differences in fuel consumption are almost nill.

• 5 weeks later...

If you don't run some selected rooftop AC then Honda 2000i will work or even the 1000i. It's a little quieter than similar models. I carry and run the 2000i in the hitch and happy with it

Although there are many other members who don't believe the little Honda 2000i can run the roof top AC I'm glad you posted yours does also Nam. Mine is a 11.5K Dometic Duo-Therm. Dometic Brand hard start capacitor installed. Just for kicks I took the Honda out yesterday and connected it to my rig. It was 86 degrees out with high humidity and 98 degrees in my rig. I am around sea level. I turn off all the breakers except the AC. I turn the AC on low and gradually increase the cold to maximum. The little Honda ran flawlessly for close to 4 hours cycling the compressor on and off and after around 2 hrs. lowered the temperature inside to 76 degrees. For the last hour I even used ECO mode and all was well! My rig was in the direct sun. I have the Honda mounted on the rear also and use it running while driving to cool my rig as I don't have cab AC. Glad there's another member out there also who uses the Honda. There are a few envious Honda haters out there so watch out! They want video to prove it but I don't care. LOL!