Water Tank has anti-freeze in it

Iflyfish

My '87 Sunrader has anti-freeze in the fresh water tank. I used to winterize my Winnebago View by putting anti-freeze directly in the system via the water pump, bypassing the fresh water holding tank.

Two questions.

1. How do I clean the tank/system of anti-freeze, the color is nice for a cocktail with an umbrella in it but I'll pass on it.

2. How do I add anti-freeze to my 87 Sunrader water system without putting it in the fresh water tank.

Thanks,

Iflyfishwithanti-freezecocktailinhand

Well try flush with fresh water, next bleach 1/8 cup per 5 gal, fill 3/4 full and drive around to slosh the bleach mix everywhere, Next a box of baking soda in a 3/4 tank and drive. Finally a 3/4 tank of just water and slosh it around.

The quantities of "stuff" is way overkill for just normal spring cleaning because of having anti freeze in it. I REALLY hope it was RV anti freeze in the tank and not auto engine anti freeze.

Edited by WME

You can add a valve tap to the water pump intake this will allow you to pump antifreeze into the plumbing. You will also have to add a valve to the hot water tank to by pass it or you'll use 6 gallons of the stuff. Or use air pressure to blow the lines out (I use the city water port with a home made fitting and a short hose)  you will still have to drain the tank and pump a little antifreeze into the pump but when I do mine I only use about a pint of antifreeze for the entire system. There is no real way other than drain the fresh water tank add water, pump the lines out with the fresh water and repeat that is why I use air to blow the lines out I can taste the antifreeze for weeks other wise, it's non toxic but not real nice stuff.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, WME said:

Well try flush with fresh water, next bleach 1/8 cup per 5 gal, fill 3/4 full and drive around to slosh the bleach mix everywhere, Next a box of baking soda in a 3/4 tank and drive. Finally a 3/4 tank of just water and slosh it around.

The quantities of "stuff" is way overkill for just normal spring cleaning because of having anti freeze in it. I REALLY hope it was RV anti freeze in the tank and not auto engine anti freeze.

Thank you! I will be doing this and then upgrade water system as outlined below. It is RV anti-freeze in the fresh water tank. Great input!

Iflyfishwithcleanwatertank

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:47 PM, Maineah said:

You can add a valve tap to the water pump intake this will allow you to pump antifreeze into the plumbing. You will also have to add a valve to the hot water tank to by pass it or you'll use 6 gallons of the stuff. Or use air pressure to blow the lines out (I use the city water port with a home made fitting and a short hose)  you will still have to drain the tank and pump a little antifreeze into the pump but when I do mine I only use about a pint of antifreeze for the entire system. There is no real way other than drain the fresh water tank add water, pump the lines out with the fresh water and repeat that is why I use air to blow the lines out I can taste the antifreeze for weeks other wise, it's non toxic but not real nice stuff.

Excellent!! I appreciate your thoughtful response. I am sure this is how my View water system was configured as this is how I used to winterize. I will follow up with your great idea! Thank you.

Iflyfishintaintedfreshwater

PT 1  for the water pump   http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/rv-pump-converter.htm

PT 2 bypass the heater  http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-water-heaters/rv-winterizing-bypass.htm

PT 3 blow out adapter  http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/rv-winterizing-blowout-plug.htm

Winterize a Toy size RV with less than a gallon of antifreeze

Edited by WME

4 hours ago, WME said:

I have a short piece water hose with a air chuck connected to one end I set my compressor to about 45PSI connect it to the city water port start opening taps till nothing but air comes out. Leave the low point drains open, shut the suction valve on the pump intake then suck up about a pint of antifreeze through hose fitting behind the valve and call it a day.

23 hours ago, WME said:

Outstanding!!!

Thank you very much! This will save a ton of effort. Well done!

Iflyfishwithfreshwaterglassinhand

19 hours ago, Maineah said:

I have a short piece water hose with a air chuck connected to one end I set my compressor to about 45PSI connect it to the city water port start opening taps till nothing but air comes out. Leave the low point drains open, shut the suction valve on the pump intake then suck up about a pint of antifreeze through hose fitting behind the valve and call it a day.

Again, excellent post and I thank you!

Iflyfishtoastingmytoyofriends