Hello Everyone,

I am looking at buying a 1978 Toyota Dolphin. I have read a little bit about them. Was wondering the pros and cons on a 1978? I read something about the rear axle might have issues? And also is it really hard to find parts for something that old? Any info is much appreciated. thank you

13 hours ago, Lovetotravel said:

Hello Everyone,

I am looking at buying a 1978 Toyota Dolphin. I have read a little bit about them. Was wondering the pros and cons on a 1978? I read something about the rear axle might have issues? And also is it really hard to find parts for something that old? Any info is much appreciated. thank you

I own a 1978. Post a picture and description of the toy you're looking to buy.

Important to check the rear axle. If you only have 5 lug nuts and dual rear wheels the axle is UNSAFE. Will cost $$$ to replace.

A 78 Dolphin if not messed with should have single wheels in the back which had very wide tires on it. No axle problems there. Trouble is lots of people added a dually set up long before they made the right kind. Need to see pics of rear and know if single or double wheel. No tires made that wide now but there are some D load range tires that will hold the weight.

Linda S

• 8 months later...

I'd like to pick this back up if I could. I'm currently looking at two different 78' dolphins and am trying to my research to help make my decision. I can link to the craigslist ads at the end. I'm currently more interested in the one out of Spokane with the wood burning stove, for that reason mainly. Unfortunately, the owners haven't been great with communication. But they have told me its got 50k on the odometer and assume its 150k, driven it through the mountain pass and said its pretty slow but steady, tops out on highway around 65mph (this is where I'm most curious of what others experience with this model. I don't want the engine or anything to be on its way out) also they said they haven't used any of the propane or electrical systems (stove, fridge etc.)

The other one the guy has put a lot of work into it. Rebuilt engine with only 10k on it. The odometer doesn't work so I don't know what its really got on the rest of it. New clutch and valve gaskets, new shocks too. He also said the underside is in decent shape. He's had it for about five years and used it as a snowboard rig and said it's made it up the mountains in heavy snow like a champ.

I'm looking to have one as my home and also my main mode of transportation for little while so I'm wanting something reliable. I'll mostly do short drives, but would obviously want it to be able to do some adventuring too. BOTH CLAIM TO HAVE DUELIE SET UPS. But they said they've been very reliable. 

Let me know what you think. Any advice for a new yoda camper owner? Things to look at before I make my decision? Anything to keep an eye out for once I'm an owner? This forum seems really informative so I'm really thankful I found it. Thanks everyone!

https://spokane.craigslist.org/rvs/d/1978-toyota-dolphin-17/6451466911.html

https://wenatchee.craigslist.org/rvs/d/1978-toyota-dolphin-21/6410761308.html