whyverne14

Canned Meat at Walmart.

10 posts in this topic

I've been experimenting with the canned meat line that has recently turned up at Walmart. I don't think it's half bad at all. If you're thinking dog food, no, they have a good texture. The brand is Keystone, 28 oz. Ground beef, beef, pork, turkey and chicken.

Of course the more stuff you add the better it gets. I've heated the beef up with canned carrots and potatoes and it's instant pot roast. I mixed the pork with BBQ sauce, pretty good. Even tried Hawaiian Kalua pork with rice. I'm going to try making chili with the ground beef today.

I really don't like messing with raw meat while camping and I'm quite pleased with this alternative.

Nooooooo!!

Yummmm.

We have used canned chicken from WalMart.  It is called Valley Fresh chicken breast with broth.  We drain the broth from the meat, use the part of the broth and part water to make chicken flavored Noodle-Roni.  Add the meat and some vegetables and have a very fast meal.  We use no salt vegetables.  The stuff taste pretty good but it is still pretty salty.  

I have seen the beef but will see if they carry it locally.

Having food that requires n refrigeration is good.  

My wife and I do not save the little bit of food that is left-over.  We usually eat it all or have a couple of spoons of food.

On 4/22/2017 at 9:48 AM, whyverne14 said:

I've been experimenting with the canned meat line that has recently turned up at Walmart. I don't think it's half bad at all. If you're thinking dog food, no, they have a good texture. The brand is Keystone, 28 oz. Ground beef, beef, pork, turkey and chicken.

Of course the more stuff you add the better it gets. I've heated the beef up with canned carrots and potatoes and it's instant pot roast. I mixed the pork with BBQ sauce, pretty good. Even tried Hawaiian Kalua pork with rice. I'm going to try making chili with the ground beef today.

I really don't like messing with raw meat while camping and I'm quite pleased with this alternative.

You are are a braver man than I! I won't even go into a Walmart!

I used to get canned bacon from K-Mart a long time ago, but cannot find it anywhere.  It was great to take camping.  We use the Spam Bacon, good but not the same.  Also, Walmart sells a vacuum sealed bag of tuna fish and salmon that has a shelf life of a few years, and is low cost ($1 and change) and is pretty good. 

I totally remember canned bacon. I like the precooked bacon you can find at any grocery store. Doesn't require refrigeration and don't have to deal with all that grease while your camping. Supposed to microwave it but heating it up in the oven works great. Several companies make it but I like the cheaper Safeway brand the best. Not too salty and good smoky flavor.

Linda S

Bacon grease is the best!! Actually, bacon anything is the best!! But with the grease is the best best!! :)