1987 Sunrader SLIGHT Fuel Smell in Coach

So here's the full story. When I got the rig, I noticed on filling up at the pump a tiny drip below the fuel filler spot onto the pavement, depending on what angle i was holding the gas pump. Following this there was a slight gas smell in the coach, more apparent after filling up. The fuel filler line runs right under the front dinette bench. 

I took everything apart, ( there was a dryer vent hose covering the in coach section of the fuel filler line and vent line, taped up at either end to the floor and side with foil tape / electrical tape. I took this off, noticed it had the smell of fuel in it. I noticed a tiny crack in the small hose, I assume the vent hose. I replaced all rubber hoses. Fuel filler hose, and vent hose on all sections of the line in the coach, and underneath all the way up to the tank. I tightened everything up very tight with the hose clamps. 

Now, I don't get any leaks. I also don't get really any smell of gas in the coach after filling up. HOWEVER, on HOT days 80+ Degree weather - during the day primarily / not so much at night, and it seems worse maybe when the sun is shining on the fuel filler side of the coach, I notice a slight gas smell. It comes and goes, and it's very slight. If I sniff under the dinette seat, I also can smell it, it's not always there, but it's very faint. If I walk outside and put my nose maybe 1-2 feet away from the fuel filler spot, I can also smell whiffs of gas. It also seems to smell worse and I get slight whiffs of gas when I am running my fantastic fan to blow air out / suck air in through the windows

The gas cap seems to be all in tact and works. I just don't know at this point.  I'm out of ideas, anyone know what's going on here, or how I can fully eliminate this? Do I need to seal off the hose inside the coach behind some sort of dryer vent again? Is there some vent valve that is plugged up on the tank, or somewhere else? Do I have the wrong type of gas cap? 

Attached is an image of the setup before I took it apart and replaced the lines, and the outside filler point. Can provide more photos if needed.. 

Any ideas would be appreciated. 

Thanks a bunch

received_10104864022416890.jpeg

received_10104864021239250.jpeg

Edited by 85Raderguy

that dryer vent hose is where I found my smell. turned out it had some holes in it that could only be seen if you expanded it from wounds or rot or what not. i replaced it and bye bye vapors.

Yea, I removed it, it was stinky. That photo was from before I did all this work. Attached here is one of what it looks like now. 

When I replaced the lines I didn't run them through a dryer vent hose. I just covered the hoses where it goes through the floor and where it connects to the filler neck with foil tape... but I still smell a bit of fumes bit when it's hot out. Am I doing it wrong?

20170418_162943 (Medium).jpg

definitely not vapor proof. get a new dryer vent and redo what you removed. you want the entirety of those hoses inside the vent hose so any and all vapors are isolated from the coach.