Hi all!

My BF and I are tearing apart and rebuilding our new 1982 18ft Sunrader. I'll be making a larger post elsewhere about our process/progress (or as the BF puts it - the project where every day gets worse! :P) but I have a question about fender flares... specifically, how necessary do y'all think they are? We took one off that was pretty busted and are willing to fix it and put it back on, but we also really like the way it looks without it. We imagine they add a lot for aerodynamic purposes and some protection, but I can't find an assessment of how necessary they actually are. Thoughts?

Thanks so much!

LilMamaBoneCrusher

IMG_20170413_150103227.jpg

Thats a really big cut out and a small tire. To me its not the best.

If you go for it finish the wheel well edge with something like this...http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Meter-Roll-38mm-Rubber-Wheel-Arch-Protector-Lip-Flare-Guard-for-4x4-SUV-Truck-/361661004975?hash=item5434acfcaf:g:dH4AAOSwSv1Xlvxe&vxp=mtr

I don't think they are necessary as long as your protective sheet of metal is still over the fuel line. Whatever you do don't discard the fender flares. I will pay for them. I know lots of people looking for them

Linda S

It's been updated. WE may be fools for taking on this project with only 3 months to do it and building outside in the Pacific NW, but them's no foolies. :) 

Linda S - what's the appeal? Why are people looking so hard for them if they're not necessary? Is it just a stock aesthetic thing?

thanks all!

Well it is a big hole and little tires. I think it gives it a more finished look and I'm kind of a stickler on keeping these rigs as close to original as I can. I unfortunately gave up a set to some needy people before I got a chance to make  molds. I would like to be able to reproduce them if possible. I'm on 3 different Toyota based groups and spend a lot of time trying to find people parts. Be so much easier to be able to go to  my garage and just make them and at a reasonable price. The only place that still makes them is extremely expensive so just let me know what you decide.

Linda S

35 minutes ago, LilMamaBoneCrusher said:

Good to know and will do, thanks! And thanks for providing so much awesome information throughout this forum!

Your welcome and I just responded to your question about raising the roof. If you want detailed instructions of how a friend of mine did it let me know or start a thread. To much info to put on someone else's thread. Difficulty is getting a beam in with cabinets in place.

Linda S

7 hours ago, linda s said:

Your welcome and I just responded to your question about raising the roof. If you want detailed instructions of how a friend of mine did it let me know or start a thread. To much info to put on someone else's thread. Difficulty is getting a beam in with cabinets in place.

Linda S

Will do, Linda! Thank you!