Hi, We're getting ready to have the timing belt replaced on our 91 321RB. Purchased last year with 150K miles on it. The previous owners had it for 16 years and had all work done at our local Toyota dealer. When I went to them to inquire if and when they had replaced the timing belt I was informed that a couple of years back when they replaced their computer system a lot of old records were lost and this vehicle was one of them. I'll be having it done just for my peace of mind. I have a mechanic that I have complete faith in who will be doing the work and I will be ordering the parts. the timing belt kit which has the belt, idlers, water pump and seals comes in two configurations. With tow package and without tow package is my choice. I've been unable to find anywhere if this came from the factory with the a tow package. My gut tells me that it's a no brainer that it would have that option but I'd feel so much better (and not be out $100+ for the kit and delay waiting for the correct one) if someone has done this on a comparable 91 or close to that year.

Any and all help and information will be greatly appreciated. I'm more than nervous going much more than 100 miles from home until I know that the timing belt is good to go.

Thanks, 

Tom

IMG_20170411_173643.jpg

Toyota only shows 1 part number for your timing belt,

13568-65011

And only 1 water pump

16100-69475-83

Don't know what kit your considering but you should be able to do a part cross reference and see if what they are selling is the right one.

Linda S

Nothing can ever be simple or easy!   I bought the Aisin kit from Rock auto.  I did not remember anything about towing/non towing..  So I went and looked at the rock auto site no mention of towing with the Aisin kit. 

If you are buying from Auto Zone or whatever they often seem to have conflicting info, so I try to show up with a part# 

93 3VZE auto kit # at Rock Auto

AISIN TKT014 (TKT-014@A18) Timing Belt Component Kit $ 193.79  

Outstanding!!! Thank you Linda!

The kits I'm looking at from Rock Auto have the following: 

DAYCO WP154K1BS Includes: Water Pump, Timing Belt, Camshaft Belt Tensioner, Camshaft Belt Idler, Tensioner Spring, 2 Camshaft Seals, Crankshaft Seal, Pre-Assembly Seal Lubricant Water Pump Kit with Seals Info
w/Tow Package, w/Outlet at Thermostat; Water Pump Driven by Timing Belt

Checking the water pump number you supplied it shows that it has an outlet which matches the "w/tow package".

Unless someone else has more insight this is looking like a winner to bet on.

buy the dayco  belt. wouldn't trust internal parts from auto zone. factory belts from Toyota last more than they are rated for 150000 isn't nothing for a toy belt. I have 265000 on one of my 4 door tacomas. only changed it because water pump was going out. belt showed no stretch or stress cracks looked like it was just put on.

Reread Tom's first post.

Because this is all about piece of mind, ask your mech how much to do the valves.

13 hours ago, Green Bay Tom said:

DAYCO WP154K1BS Includes: Water Pump, Timing Belt, Camshaft Belt Tensioner, Camshaft Belt Idler, Tensioner Spring, 2 Camshaft Seals, Crankshaft Seal, Pre-Assembly Seal Lubricant Water Pump Kit with Seals Info

w/Tow Package, w/Outlet at Thermostat; Water Pump Driven by Timing Belt

Maybe throw your VIN in here?

http://www.daycoproducts.com/part?category_id%3D1084%26year%3D%26make%3D%26modeltype%3D%26model%3D%26description%3D1451%26part_number%3DWP154K1BS

when I did mine, I did not mess with the cam seals.  I did change the 2 tensioners, belt & pump.   Make sure the thermostat gets put back in with the "burp" hole UP.  I bought a kit from Rock Auto - gates kit for $105 - did not like the water pump so I bought an asin which was identical.

The marks on the timing belt did not work out for me.  I used the marks on the crank pulley and the cam pulleys.  That worked like a charm.   When I turned the engine (spark plugs out 15mm socket I think) the marks did not align - but the cam/ crank marks did. 

I needed the water pump with the extra port - that is part of the water cooling circuit for the oil cooler. 

Looking at the amount of work involved, my normally cheap self went for the Aisin parts. I would bet money they are Toyota parts with out the name.  The Toyota name is on the casting on the old pump, on the new Aisin the area where the Toyota name would be is ground off.

Edited by jjrbus

2 hours ago, DanAatTheCape said:

I needed the water pump with the extra port - that is part of the water cooling circuit for the oil cooler. 

Oil cooler = tow package????

On 4/14/2017 at 11:23 AM, Derek up North said:

Absolutely nothing came up with the VIN. 

On 4/14/2017 at 10:09 AM, darrel said:

Reread Tom's first post.

Thanks! I'm a big believer on replacing the timing belt. I had one go out on an 86 Mustang that thankfully was a short and cheap fix. This beast is none of that. On a side note, I found a faded sticker on the top of the fan shroud that says the belt was replaced at 68K.

I changed the timing belts on my 96 4Runner at 200K miles and then 340 K miles. Everything was running fine. The old belts that looked like new. I changed the original water pump at 340K miles because it came with the kit. On my camper, I changed the belt out at 220K miles because I didn't know when the previous owner had done it. Non-interference engine.

ya  sevice  on a timing belt is around 60000.they will last a lot longer. That's why I said 150000 wouldn't not keep me from traveling with it. unless you do it yourself it's going to be salty. I did mine in 2 hours .  going rate  at least on my Tacoma was $1100 to change belt.

On 4/14/2017 at 5:27 PM, WME said:

Oil cooler = tow package????

When you look at the service manual, sometimes you see a separate box showing "California and CC"  (cab & chassis).   The CC (Toy -rvs) have a water line that serves an oil cooler (on drivers side , low toward the front - looks like a can about 2-3 inches tall and about 4-5inches wide. It has 2 water lines).  After reviewing the page from maint maunal (see below) looks like all of these later model engines had the oil cooler set up.  Can't tell from manual, but the line coming forward from oil cooler goes to the port on the water pump.

The EGR also has a water cooler circuit which I think is CC specific.

Talking 6 cylinder here.....

p550.pdf