Old style door lock?

Mister Blu

Looking to replace the old obsolete lock/latch on my '86 Sunrader.   This is the one that does not have traditional style locking mechanism.  I will like to replace with an appropriate lock that does have a traditional style bolt latch.

What is the closest size replacement available?  Must require cutout the same size or somewhat larger than existing cutout.  

The edge/side of door is approximately 5/8" from the nearest edge of existing cut-out.  Trimark models I have considered appear to require that there be .88 of an inch of material remaining between edge of cut-out and the edge of door.  (See picture)

Also, what is the best dreamer tool to cut this the new cut-out with?  

IMG_2268.PNG

IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2118.JPG

Need to see model your thinking of buying. Can't find any with a cutout that large. Most people who have tried to find a new lockset for a Sunrader had problems finding a lockset that didn't have a far smaller cutout area so it would fit in the large ones we already have. Whatever you do just please sell me the old lock.

Linda S

The Trimark 060-1650 is one option I am considering.  Will this not work?  

Understand I will need to modify the side of door for bolt mechanism(s) along with the jamb (to receive the bolt(s)).  Of course, the same is necessary when installing a house style deadbolt. 

The existing cut-out is smaller than the cut-out required for this new lock set.  Cut out for this trimark lock is 4.94" wide by 4.85" high.  The existing cut-out is something like 4.75 wide by 3.85 high?  

See pictures.

IMG_2270.PNG

IMG_2271.PNG

The trimark 060-1650 may also be known as the T507.  This I am not entirely certain about.

p.s. 

If I were to offer the working old lock... what might the value be to a few fellow toyhome folk? 

As it happens, I also have 4 bench cushion covers in excellent condition.  These are the blue ones.  If one were determined, one could convince me to part with these cushion covers as well.

Yup looks like a pretty good fit. As far as cutting the door. Slower is always better. Do it by hand.

The lock is probably worth whatever someone will pay. Might be no one right now who needs one. I really don't but I spend too much time looking for parts for people to just let any Sunrader parts get thrown away. When they do find a home I usually don't charge more than it cost me. Stupid huh. So if no one needs it let me know. I'll pay you something but not much. Plus shipping of course.

Linda S

Well... it will run me about a hundred for the new lock... plus the work of modifying the door and jamb to accommodate.

What methods do you all suggest for cutting fine controlled cuts into the fiberglass.  Am considering the little square slots for the bolts to slide through.  

• 2 weeks later...