The original RV mattress had to go. I built a movable hinged platform out of 3/4 plywood with three heavy duty door hinges on the from edge. I covered with with inexpensive outdoor grey carpet. I ordered a extra long twin mattress which fits in perfect. I added a foot board and head board over the side windows so I can save the screens. Works great. I use two repurposed Ikea table legs to hold the bed up when I am on the road. The two white boards you see on the bottom of the raised bed are the runners for a pull out table that I use once in bed to hold drinks etc. I have been using this for two years now and works perfect.

IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3076.jpg

Edited by 1988dolphin

• 1 month later...

This is such a great idea!  I just bought a '78/79 Dolphin and am just beginning to figure out what I want.  This is a winner.  There's so much stuff in mine that adds too much weight, I'm starting by taking stuff out then looking at the body.  

Do you have more photos of your rig?  Your work is cool!

Rockin

Sweet set-up! Did you glass over your front windows?

• 1 month later...

I got tired of trying to keep the front windows from leaking so removed them. Installed entire over cab inner 3/16 plywood skin, used 3/4 CD plug to close actual window openings, used white formica as the outer skin. Once complete several coats of gloss white oil based Rustoleum. Just did the cab recently in Rustoleum hunter green.

IMG_0006 (1).jpg

IMG_1674.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

Super Sweet! I recently redid my interior and also painted the old paneling a cream color. Can't believe what a difference it makes. Brighter, modern and more roomy looking inside. Nice Work!

• 2 weeks later...

For my  post "Grannie got a Face Lift!" I used BEHR primer and BEHR kitchen and bath washable (Home Depot.) I highly recommend priming as it's hard for the paint to stick on the fake wood paneling. Good Luck!

When I painted the interior I used Behr primer/paint combination, go to home depot. Lots of sanding and dusting before painting. I took off all doors first. I brush and rolled the interior. The exterior is Rustoleum Oil based paint. I cleaned up the body with 3m sanding pads, primed with cans of Rustoleum auto body primer, sanded the primer and rolled and tipped the paint on. Go to youtube. You will find a dozen or more folks who have done the same as I. Really straight forward and simple.Here is a new photo with the stenciling. 

IMG_0009.jpg