Mud Flaps

markwilliam1

My 86 Granville came with large mud flaps behind the dually's but were dry rotted so they were removed. I'm thinking of replacing them but wondering if that would reduce MPG 's or performance due to increased drag. Any thoughts? Any benefits to having them? 

Edited by markwilliam1
error

Many states have mud flap requirements.  Check out this site to see if EW RW

http://www.minimania.com/pdfile/Mud_Flap_Laws_NETA.pdf

Well it says California requires them but I guess nobody ever told the cops. All the mega lifted giant completely exposed tires on 4X4's here I don't think I've ever seen one with mud flaps. Big rigs only. I remember being behind a newer Volvo once with all the usual bumpers and standard car stuff on it but the design of the car took the rain and focused it into one huge spray that hit me right on my windshield. Like a rear firehose. I drive an Explorer too so it was really throwing it up. Doesn't it rain in Sweden or do they only sell those cars here.

Linda S

Do you think they would lower MPG's or power due to wind resistance?

Your rear tires have already cleared the wind path. The flaps keep some gunk off the bottom of the chassis. I like flaps.

• 1 month later...