Coach furniture replacement

Nicky23

Hi! I have an 86 toyota dolphin and was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a replacement bed for the bed above the cab? Was also looking for the swivel chairs too. Google is no help at all! 

Thanks

You need to use some ingenuity when trying to update an old motorhome. Are you fine with a bed with no pass through up top. If so just measure it. Lots of mattresses available at places as cheap as Big lots. If you want a pass through your going to need foam which is very expensive. I have used a place on eBay for cheap foam. I'll look for it tomorrow and post it. You don't want to buy memory foam only. It's very heavy and doesn't have enough support. Mattresses like Tempurpedic use a combination of regular and memory foam. Can you sew? The chairs might need to be reupholstered to make them nice again.

Linda S

Unfortunately, the width of the overhead bunk seems to be almost universally a few inches less than the 54" width of a standard double/full sized 'home' mattress. A futon mattress is a lightweight option, IF you think you can be comfortable. :)

For an alternative to the small RV tub chair, you could get creative with an office chair, suitably modified.

Adeco-Bentwood-U-Shape-Adjustable-Height

bond-upholstered-swivel-office-chair-m.j

$_35.JPG?set_id=2

A cheap alternative to buying all new foam is using old couch cushions and puzzle piecing them together with contact cement. Some thrift store dumpsters are heaping with them?.  You just need to make sure you get all the same thickness and density. 

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the tips. Man, I been getting so much info. here

I prefer a tufted futon mattress myself, more because of cost than comfort.  They have the added bonus of being able to be folded over to allow you into the cab.  An old 3/4 mattress Would probably be the most comfortable, but they are not frequently used.  They are 4 feet wide, but not a popular size.

If you want to go cheap (and if you consider $54 cheap), here is a futon option: https://www.walmart.com/ip/DHP-6-Full-Size-Futon-Mattress-Multiple-Colors/10247113?variantFieldId=actual_color

It is a tad wide, but I just put some of it on the incline over the cab.

Edited by Squirrel
I forgot some information

On 4/11/2017 at 10:53 AM, linda s said:

Here's the eBay foam guy. Foam can be trimmed very nicely with an electric knife.

Linda S

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mattress-Foam-Rubber-Full-Regular-USA-MAde-5-x-54-x-75-/311767984993

Thanks for this link! Very comfy foam and a great price. 

• 2 years later...

Nicky23 - I realize your post is a few years old.  How did you conclude your coach furniture issue?  If you are still in need...I have an 86 Dolphin also and am selling my jacknife couch bed and two swivel chairs.  They are in great condition for someone who wants to return their rig back to the original look.  Give me a holler at theliveaboard@gmail.com if you (or anyone reading this) would like pictures and info on the sofa bed and swivel barrel chairs. 

IMG_2022.jpeg

IMG_4017.jpeg

IMG_0618.jpeg

Edited by Cynxing
Adding photos