Newbie needs help on water tank/water heater issues

Hi folks,

This is my first post. I just aquired a 1988 Dolphin, I'm pretty excited about it, can't wait to fine tune a few issues before using her this season. I have a water leak issue that I'm guessing is related to the drain on it. The main water tank had some water in it, enough to be able to turn on the pump and get some water from the cold water faucets at the kitchen and bathroom sinks. The remote sensor lights showed a minimum amount of water in the tank. Today I decided to fill the tank, and ran water into the inlet until it started to come out of the small vent hole. It checked out as full with the remote senor light.Shortly thereafter though, water began leaking under the vehicle, right where the hot water tank is located.I tried to locate a hot water tank drain cock of some sort under the sink area, but wasn't really sure what to look for. I then drained a few gallons out of the main water tank, and that seemed to stop the leak.It wasn't until I was changing the oil a bit later in the day did I notice it was pretty wet on the carpet at the drivers seat. I used a shop vac, and managed to suck up maybe a gallon or two of water from that area. I drained maybe another gallon from the main tank, but at this point,I can not see any more leakage from anywhere. Can someone direct me first to where the drain for the hot water tank is? If I can close that, then I can look for any other type of leakage.
The rig seems to be well cared for, the shell may need some waterproofing work at some point, but it seems like many systems work. The fridge is fine for one thing, as is the stovetop, and waterpump. I have the general Dolphoin manual, and the one for the fridge, but no paperwork for the water heater or bathroom stuff. Are there some manuals on this cool website?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!!!

Steve

The only drain for the hot water tank is a hex head plug inside of the out side cover for the heater. See if you can access the area where the fill for the fresh water tank is it sounds like you may have a leak at the pipe that is connected to the top of the tank where the water fill goes in there should be a flexible joint of some sort.

It's pretty common with age for the bottom of the hot water tank to rot frankly the design is poor the drain is not on the bottom so a couple inches of water remains even after draining the tank along with any dirt etc. on the bottom.

OK, good info, Maineah! I'll see what I can find leak wise, Like I sad when the water tank was partially full I saw no evidence of leakage.

Do you know if this website has any documents scanned up for operation of the systems, like the toilet, stove.overn,etc?

Wow, thanks Derek! Good info! Do you know if there is any info on line about the bathroom equipment on my dolphin? Just trying to figure out how the toilet works. If not I plan to take it by an RV pace, to ask some questions about my water leak and what I need to do to get the toilet up and "running" as it were.