Sunrader Water Damaged Floors and Cabover

Hello everyone,

Cabover

Should I cut out the old platform and then fiberglass in a new piece of ply?  Or, could I impregnate the damaged platform with resin and then fiberglass mat over the old piece of wood?

Coach  Floor

I've heard cutting out the old floor is a nightmare, however, I have some pretty severe damage right behind my driver's side wheel well where the aluminum sheeting is ripped off and it goes all the way through to the coach!  I found the previous owner just put an old car floor mat between the coach and the road (bless their heart).  Is it possible to cut out that severely damaged piece of the floor, patch in some ply, impregnate everything with resin, then fiberglass mat over the entire floor?  Is this the best way?  I'd like to limit the loss of headroom and addition of weight.  

Thanks,

Rob

MVI_6623.MOV

MVI_6627.MOV

MVI_6630.MOV

I can't view the videos. Got just photos???

The floor on a Sunrader is a PIA to repair due to its design. Its a sandwich design ply, foam, lite ply and then a thin metal sheet. Once the glue debonds the floor has the strength of a wet piece of cardboard.

The repair is to cut out the bad stuff and epoxy in some ply. Some braces from the bottom will be helpful. An one piece overlayment adds a lot strength but will cut down some headroom.

The overhead may require different ideas so start here http://www.rotdoctor.com/boat/Bmain.html

Edited by WME

OK couldn't see it before. For floor

Drill lots of tiny holes in floor and pour 2 part epoxy over the whole floor. Remove table holder first. Thin layers is best and let harden completely. Fiberglass resin type epoxy. Work quick cause you want it pretty thin so it will spread. Pour right over area where you can see foam to make new surface. This will harden old floor. Then lay down sheet of half inch plywood over old floor with construction glue and screw down at least every 12 inches. Helps to drill pilot holes in this layer so bottom floor is pulled up to new sheet instead of top sheet being pulled down. Should be hard as a rock when your done. Well not really but Sunrader floors are supposed to have a little flex. Then put down whatever type of surface flooring you like.

Top bunk doesn't need as much support. It's laying on solid fiberglass. I would use construction glue and put down a 1/4 inch sheet of plywood so you have a nice surface. Just a few screws but no more than 1/2 inch to That's all it really needs provided it's completely dry up there. Why does it look like you have boards supporting the roof there

Find out where the water was coming from first. most important.

An old boat trick was to saturate the totally dried out rotten wood with some very thin epoxy resin. The stuff I used to use was military surplus and was as thin as water. It was 2 part epoxy where you mixed equal parts of each "50/50". I suppose you could do the same thing by diluting with lots of acetone. The more balsa like (rotten) the wood was & the drier it was, the more it would soak up. You just keep pouring it on as it drinks it up. You end up with all the rot turned into plastic. Then you can do what WME & Linda suggest above. I have used that Philippine mahogany underlayment, very strong very thin, "Glued & Screwed" over patched plywood after soaking the original plywood or patch with the thin penetrating epoxy.

Alcohol is better to mix epoxy as it will evaporate slower and give the thinned epoxy time to penetrate better.

just cut out bad spots in floor and graft in new floor. I've done tons of rotten  floors and floors on high end rv's that has not even left the plant yet due to holes being put  in wrong spot. or you  could just over lay the entire rv with 1/4 sub floor made from hard wood . 1/2 ply would bring floor up to high around  floor cabinets 1/4 you would barly notice it. and still be strong. or just remove all cabinets and over lay the whole rv. that's what I would do. more work but would be as strong as factory and look good. you wouldn't believe how repairs are done on brand new rv's  and never know it. the stories

Can't just cut out the old floor on a Sunrader. The entire floor is part of the structural integrity of the coach. 1/4 inch ply is not enough. I tried that on my Nissan and I am going to have to redo it. Used very good stuff but needs 1/2. Removing the cabinets on a Sunrader means your going to be making brand new ones. They will not survive intact.

Linda S

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

Linda, I have boards there because we're glassing in ribs to support the front end sag.  Also have main coach sag and am trying to figure out the best way to fix that, because that was truly a big project (mess) for the cabover.  

I have two questions?

What type of 1/2 inch ply should I use?  I've heard marine grade mentioned on here.

I have resin for the fiberglassing project, will this work for the floors?

Marine grade ply usually means more plys, which means stiffer wood. Box store 1/2" ply has 4 or 5 plys, marine grade 1/2" has 7 or 9 plys. Marine is also better at water resistance :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, TheGrayOutdoors said:

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

Linda, I have boards there because we're glassing in ribs to support the front end sag.  Also have main coach sag and am trying to figure out the best way to fix that, because that was truly a big project (mess) for the cabover.  

I have two questions?

What type of 1/2 inch ply should I use?  I've heard marine grade mentioned on here.

I have resin for the fiberglassing project, will this work for the floors?

Yes to marine and yes to the resin.

Linda S