How to charge Chassis Battery when storing unit?

Iflyfish

In my 1987 Toyota Sunrader chassis and coach batteries are separate. I plug in the coach and the coach battery charges but the chassis battery does not.

This raises a couple of questions.

1. Can I install something that will allow the chassis battery to charge when I have the coach plugged in?

2. Does that alternator charge the coach battery as it charges the chassis battery? I know in my 06 View it did

Thanks,

Igetachargeoutofflyfishing

A short piece of wire and two alligator clips you can by pass any isolator for storage charging. You can even use the camper charger with a plug in timer set to a couple hours max a day but you will need a timer other wise you boil the water out of the batteries. Yes your Alt. will charge both.

The jumper idea works, but if you forget it will drain the engine battery when your boondocked next to your favorite river.

A simple idiot proofing mod is to just add a small amp fuse to the jumper. When your on shore power your converter will send a few amps to your truck battery. IF you forget to remove the jumper the fuse will pop when you try to start the engine restoring the isolator to normal.

Or if your forgetful and have an excess of funding :P, you might try one of these...http://www.intellitec.com/index.php/products/DC_Power_Management/Intelligent_battery_charging/The_BIRD

Edited by WME

• 3 weeks later...

if you have a garage, take the batteries home & charge them there once every few weeks or get a trickle charger and leave it hooked up.  Better than leaving camper powered while away unless you are planning to keep it heated with a small electric heater.  Flat roofs do not like snow piled up - if outside I would get the front end up so the roof can at least pretend it is draining.

From the other Toy MH site.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Cyrix-ct-120A-230A-EN.pdf

Charge ALL of your batteries from the alternator AND your converter.

7 hours ago, WME said:

From the other Toy MH site.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Cyrix-ct-120A-230A-EN.pdf

Charge ALL of your batteries from the alternator AND your converter.

At $50 it's a bargain, just what I was looking for. Thank you and all those who posted on this topic. Iflyfishwhenchargingonmycreditcard