Dicor fiberglass roof coating?

After washing the rig, I noticed some spider cracking happening to the gel coat in two small areas on the roof.

considering super cleaning it first with a deoxidizer and buffer, followed by 'dicor clean and prep', and then two coats of dicor 'fiberglass roof coating'.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments, feedback?

Is there a better way to do this?

Had already intended to look into this product prior to this recent discovery.

"a wise man seeks many counsel."

It's gel coat not the fiberglass itself. Like paint cracking. Not major damage and will never leak because of it. Paint over it with some spray paint if it really bothers you but whose looking at the roof. Oh and the Dicor stuff is probably intended for newer Rv's with super thin fiberglass siding over a wood frame . Not the fat boat stuff ours is made from. Best cleaning for a Sunrader is Bar Keepers Friend then polish with Zep floor polish from Home Depot. Look at this shiny Sunrader. Belongs to another member here who cleaned his like that.

Linda S

IMG_20160205_163249_995.jpg

When paint cracks moisture can and often does get in and under.  

Why is it that you both suggest that dicor's fiberglass roof coating would not be the desired product for this purpose?

What might you do to ensure that this roof is sealed and protected?  Do not reckon that waxing will be enough.

Linda, does bar keeper's friend remove heavy oxidization, or ought I also get a bottle of meguiar's heavy oxidization remover?  That rig pictured sure does have a shine to it.

Edited by Mister Blu

Go to a nearby West Marine and ask if cracked gel coat will destroy your boat. They will have a good laugh. Millions of old cracked gel coat boats sitting in water all the time, 24 hours a day.  You are driving a boat.

Yes that stuff removes oxidation black,  marks, and the burnt crap on my broiler pan. Ya know the stuff that never comes off? I use magic sponges too. The dollar store ones.

The Dicor product is designed for this kind of fiberglass panel usually called Filon. 4 hundredths of an inch thick with wood underneath. Yes these do break down and leak because they are so thin

http://www.cranecomposites.com/pdf/6333.pdf

It's also brilliant white and will not match your rig color at all. Not designed to give you an ultra smooth glassy surface. Designed to be thick and protect those weak panels.

Not recommended because it will look like crap and is useless for your purposes. High quality automotive paint on the other hand will give you a beautiful surface that will last for years and can be mixed to match the rest of your rig. You wouldn't use that stuff on a Corvette would you. Nope when the gel coat cracks you paint it

Linda S

Use a additive designed for bumper paint. It will keep the paint slightly flexible.

For fiberglass repairs to a canoe, I've finished off the repair with this:-

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000YQEN62/ref=twister_B00ZB1QHT6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I've also used gelcoat. Off the shelf, at my local boating place, they didn't have much colour selection beyond 'Gloss White'.

http://www.fibreglast.com/category/colorgelcoat

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:40 AM, linda s said:

It's gel coat not the fiberglass itself. Like paint cracking. Not major damage and will never leak because of it. Paint over it with some spray paint if it really bothers you but whose looking at the roof. Oh and the Dicor stuff is probably intended for newer Rv's with super thin fiberglass siding over a wood frame . Not the fat boat stuff ours is made from. Best cleaning for a Sunrader is Bar Keepers Friend then polish with Zep floor polish from Home Depot. Look at this shiny Sunrader. Belongs to another member here who cleaned his like that.

Linda S

IMG_20160205_163249_995.jpg

Like the chrome wheel rings. Anybody know the source? Assume they're 14 inch.

If you really think the glass under the gel coat is going to leak. Compound or BarKeepers  the roof then use something like Snowcoat on the whole roof. It will last about 5 years if done right.

many years ago-----early 1970's to be exact. an 'anal-retentive' co-worker's Cruisers Inc  gelcoat was not holding a 'gloss', to suit him.... i advised him to lightly scuff the gelcoat and re-coat with PPG Delthane automotive epoxy clear. it cost him a fortune and loads of elbow-grease! but he happily got 20+ years out of the boat!

i haven't kept abreast of the latest technology, but betcha there are super high tech industrial coatings in the market today, that were not available back then. expect to pay big $$$$$

• 2 years later...
On 4/5/2017 at 9:28 PM, WME said:

If you really think the glass under the gel coat is going to leak. Compound or BarKeepers  the roof then use something like Snowcoat on the whole roof. It will last about 5 years if done right.

Compound? Is that a cleaner?

I have a few cracks that I am working on. Repairing this week.

Gluvit is my answer to any cracks in anything. Most marine stores have it but if it is exposed to sunlight you must paint it with an epoxy friendly paint. I have used it on my sailboat fiberglass, my aluminum boat and now the roof of the my rig especially along the sides as I was worried about the integrity of the 87 and went through torrential rains in AZ and no leaks. Big newer rigs were bitching about leaks but not me, snug and dry.

• 2 years later...
On 4/4/2017 at 2:40 AM, linda s said:

Linda S

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/bwolfgti/IMG_20160205_163249_995.jpg

How is the zep floor wax applied? 

1 hour ago, linda s said:

With a lint free soft cloth in several thin coats.

Linda S

Thanks!

Is this the product?

The gel coat on ours was refinished n the sides but not the top, and it’s got a little of the white streaking on the windows after it rains. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-1-Gal-High-Traffic-Floor-Polish-ZUHTFF128/202860171

I have laid on my roof and scrubbed it with barkeepers more times than I can count. When I first bought my Sunrader I weighed over 200lbs so the roof can take it. Not standing up is the safest for the roof and you. I did fall off once. Yikes. Onto concrete driveway. I'm old but I lived. 

Linda S

Wow I just realized I could make millions selling the Sunrader diet. Lost 80 lbs cleaning that damn rig

1 hour ago, linda s said:

I have laid on my roof and scrubbed it with barkeepers more times than I can count. When I first bought my Sunrader I weighed over 200lbs so the roof can take it. Not standing up is the safest for the roof and you. I did fall off once. Yikes. Onto concrete driveway. I'm old but I lived. 

Linda S

Wow I just realized I could make millions selling the Sunrader diet. Lost 80 lbs cleaning that damn rig

Hahaha thanks!!!

Gel Cost repair paste? I dunno know seems to good to be true. However it's sold on Amazon

https://www.gogolonge.com/products/instafix-fiberglass-boat-repair-paste

On 6/16/2022 at 7:49 PM, linda s said:

Yours is an 87. Does it have the interior roof beam? Mine is an 86 so it doesn't have it but most 87 and up do. Between bath and AC unit. Makes roof stronger

Linda S

It does have the beam!