I removed my AC belt also Totem. Increased my mileage by 10% LOL!

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:32 AM, vrocrider said:

Having done a several older R12 dead to live car systems recently I'll share what I have learned.

There are 3 key points from a shop that does only auto/truck A/C. If there's a chance the compressor is not dead perform following:

1.) Always replace the dryer. This is the "can with site glass" referred to early in the above posts. 

2.) Always replace the expansion valve. Most often it's on the fire wall but in the case of my 91 Toyota it's in the evaporator core box under the passenger dash.

3.) Use use cheap 134 to get the system up & check for leaks. Vacuum out 134 and install expensive R12.    

Dryer and expansion valve are relatively cheap compared to compressor. If compressor has to be replaced the dryer & EV must be replaced & system flushed for the compressor to have a chance of survival.  

To make the task affordable I replaced all parts & took to car to shop to do vacuum & install of R134 & R12. I also supplied the R12 to the shop that I sourced at $35+ a can.    

Good info, vrocrider! I just got my 88 Dolphin with 22RE, and decided to have the AC repaired as I am in the eastern part of Washington State, where summer temps are very hot.. I had to replace the condenser and the compressor, and went ahead and did the dryer as well. The shop recommended I stick with R12, which I did, but two weeks after we got it up and running again, it looks like the expansion valve died. I'm getting that taken care of next week.

Edited by deadflo

Good posts! My mechanic said the dryer has a leak and he couldn't repair the AC as he couldn't find the proper connections to fit either side of the dryer. Another member said the connectors already have the hoses attached. I recharged the AC with R12 and everything worked for awhile then the R12 leaked out of the dryer. Already spent $200 on it so I'm giving up! Not sure if that little 22RE has enough power to reliably run the cab AC. Good Luck!!

I would have saved all of that cash removed the AC belt and bought fuel for the Honda...assuming of course, its up to the job... hehehehe

Well if I had known beforehand that the guy couldn't fix my cab AC that would have been the plan Man! Yep, the belt is removed and the Honda will be running my roof AC with no problems:-). You still got your sweet Harbor Freight set-up?

On 4/2/2017 at 0:36 PM, markwilliam1 said:

Hey Dan, I paid the mechanic $150 to test and fix. The compressor worked but there was a leak in the canister that you look to see the freon level (don't know what it's called.) It was the fittings on both side of this canister that he couldn't find Anywhere. Cannot determine the manufacturer of the AC not Toyota. I think it was installed by Granville?? Cannot read any #'s on the compressor! Not sure if the 22RE could even operate the AC without undue engine strain. I got a stand alone Fantastic fan to blow air in the cab so good to go!

you are describing the dryer/ accumulator.  It is a generic part. I understand the power issue - that engine is already working hard.

PS:  R12 systems will work fairly well using R134 - without changing the compressor oil - I have done it on multiple vehicles. 

Edited by DanAatTheCape