Overhang rebuild materials list

vrocrider

you may need to get the dimensions from original after demo. not totally sure what "wood supports" you are referring to. some pics may help.  type of wood? if structural support dimension lumber, i am just guessing the original was pine. if that is the case, pine replacements should work, or if you think treated is worth the extra cost (not much) then maybe use it. good luck with it. joe from dover

Pressure treated as noted is the wrong wood to use!   White oak does well for this type of project.   The dry rot that destroys the wood is actually a fungus so any wood can be used if treated with a fungicide. If the manufacturers had spent $2 on each unit we might not have this issue.  

A million and 7 articles on the net pertaining to wood rot. do a bit of searching. 

http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/homemade.html

Only my opinion, not to be misconstrued as professional or expert advice! 

ok, i stand corrected, treated probably NOT a good choice. i know several years ago the formula (chemicals) were changed in the process to produce "treated" lumber for the reasons of toxicity and health related issues due to exposure. have no proof that it is entirely harmless to ones health now, so not a good choice. joe from dover.

I would not use treated because it is not stable due to moisture content.  Lumber marked KDAT is Kiln Dried After Treatment. But most are not going to find that on the rack at HD or Manards.   I used a piece of treated on my door, but it had sat around drying for a couple years and was not going to warp any worse.   

Here's my thought:

Since it's you that are doing the repairs, use pretty much anything. Why? Because as long as you own it, I'm sure you're going to be more diligent keeping it leak-free so that you don't have to do it again. So 2, 5 or 10 years down the road when you decide to sell, it'll still be rot free. After you sell it, who cares if the new owner doesn't continue your good practices?

:)

Thinking white oak or douglas fir on wood species.

Should I be concerned on ability of fasteners to penetrate oak? I know I could drill holes but too much work. Thoughts? Thanks.

20 hours ago, vrocrider said:

Thinking white oak or douglas fir on wood species.

Should I be concerned on ability of fasteners to penetrate oak? I know I could drill holes but too much work. Thoughts? Thanks.

If you do not want to predrill the oak  use another wood. Without pilot holes oak not only cracks easy but can break cheap screws!

Pine lasted 25+ years, you plan on keeping it after the rebuild that long??

If so the use something like this to pretreat the wood. http://sealitgreen.com/product/xtreme-marine-wood-sealer-1-gallon/

Edited by WME