Installation of Marker Lights

TheGrayOutdoors

Hi,

I just pulled off my old marker lights and cleaned up the fiberglass on my 85 Sunrader, then realized the pigtail connection on my new leds are much finer gauge wiring.  Is this mismatch of wiring okay?

These are the lights:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/oval-marker-lamps/oval-led-truck-and-trailer-lights-4-led-side-clearance-lights-w-4-high-flux-leds-pigtail-connector/580/#tab/Specifications

Yes it is not an issue. The LED's draw far less power so they can get by with a much finer wire.Your originals probably had no pig tail but even they could have used a finer wire because of the short run and the fact each one did not draw much power. The supply wire is the key it has to be able to take the full load of all the lights put together that's why it's bigger.

My advice is to seal them Really well! On Grannie I used butyl tape to seal the hole where to wires come out and then ran a thick bead of FlexSeal around the inside of the light fixture and tightened it down. It was difficult to remove the excess FlexSeal that came out around the edges of the lights though. After reading Totem's post about his lights letting water inside (he thought it was just condensation) I'm glad I took the extra steps. Time will tell. Good Luck!