Depth of rear inner axle seal placement

1988dolphin

Just need to check on how deep the rear inner axle seal needs to be driven into the axle. I found a thread where the question was asked but no answer was given.

Right now the seal, with the spring placed inbroard, is driven in to the point where the end of the axle and seal are flush. The reason the previous seal failed was because it worked out of the axle.

So I guess two questions. First how deep should the seal go, and second question what tool did you use to drive it in deeper. 

Thanks.  

I don't know about Toyota ff axles (never worked on one). But most ff axles the seal sits flush with the hub. A seal should not "work its way" out. Either the PO used the wrong seal or never got it fully seated.

A picture would help.

Edited by fred heath

On 3/31/2017 at 3:31 AM, 1988dolphin said:

Just need to check on how deep the rear inner axle seal needs to be driven into the axle. I found a thread where the question was asked but no answer was given.

Right now the seal, with the spring placed inbroard, is driven in to the point where the end of the axle and seal are flush. The reason the previous seal failed was because it worked out of the axle.

So I guess two questions. First how deep should the seal go, and second question what tool did you use to drive it in deeper. 

Thanks.  

It should have a shoulder to stop it from going too far. You can use any thing to drive it in that is slightly small than the o.d. of the seal piece of plastic pipe,big socket what ever you have on hand it does not drive in that hard if it does it's not square to the tube. The axle seal faces out (spring side in) the hub seal faces out (spring towards the bearing). Don't forget to pack the hub bearings frankly that was one of the dumber ideals for a one ton axle but that is Toyota's way.

Edited by Maineah

Thanks for your feedback. I need to go back and properly seat the seal. When I drove in the seal i did not drive it all the way in to the shoulder because of the tool I was using to drive it in. So I guess that I will pull the axle and drive in the seal to the point where is touches the  shoulder. I often have to go back in and correct my previous work but I do not mind really. In the scope of things it is a simple fix and will give me piece of mind when I am back out on the road. Again Thanks

Jamming that seal with a tool doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I watched a video of replacing the axle seal on a Land Cruiser full float and they tapped the seal in with a block of plastic. Wood block would work too. Held flat against it

Linda S

You have a good point. I make a tool out of a soft material and I will keep the tool camper toolbox. I want to be able to do a seal on job the side of the road if necessary. I am getting to know this rear axle quite well. Already I have done full rear brakes, including new brake cylinders. Next job will rear bushings I think. 

Thanks

Edited by 1988dolphin