Kohler Generator question

pinkflydxx

Recently, my Kohler/Tecumseh generator would not start, or even turn over.  I confirmed that I am getting power to the starter relay, and that the relay appears to be functioning correctly - with power getting to the starter when the on start switch is engaged.  I tried "pecking" on the starter, but still nothing.  I also turned the flywheel at the top of the starter (assuming this would tell me if the engine is locked up).

Anyway, at this point I am looking at replacing the starter on the unit and would like to ask the members here if there is some relatively easy way to do this.  Due to the location of the starter, I do not see a reasonable way to change the starter, short of removing the generator itself.  It appears that the generator can be dropped by removing the several bolts around the bottom plate/mounting plate area. 

Do you think I am on the right track as far as it being the starter?  Any suggestions on other items to check?  and lastly, any tricks or suggestions or shortcuts on getting to the starter for removal?

Thanks.

Have you tried jumping the starter solenoid? If the starter is good it will turn over the engine.

Darrel

I have not tried jumping it yet.  I checked the starter solenoid/relay with a multi-tester.  When I hit the starter rocker switch, the solenoid will click, and the multi-meter goes from 0 volts to 12 volts, and then 0 when the switch it off again.  Based on this check, I am assuming that the relay is working properly, and the starter may be bad.  I will try jumping the starter by bypassing the relay switch.  If that does not work then I am working under the direction that the starter is bad and needs to be replaced.

If replacement is needed, do you have any tips or suggestions on how to replace it - short of removing/dropping the generator to access the starter?  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  I found that I was able to remove the generator's starter without having to drop/remove the generator - but it was not a simple matter getting access to all the screws and nuts that had to be removed.  A couple of the starter's mounting screws were very difficult to access and to get a wrench on for removal (the two on the forward/right side of the starter).  I just had to take my time and take little turns with the wrench. 

The good news is that after removing the starter, I hooked it up to a battery and found that it was indeed the problem as it would not turn or kick out the starter gear at all.  I also noticed that it had a burnt electrical smell to it.

So, I now have a starter ordered and on it's way and will install it shortly after arrival - although I am not looking forward to putting those two difficult mounting screws back in upon installation.  Thanks for your assistance.

UPDATE #2:  The starter was installed and the generator is fully functional again.  I was able to mount the starter without removing or dropping the generator, but the putting the screws back in was somewhat difficult (limited space and limited visibility in the location where they had to be placed).

Edited by pinkflydxx