More MPGs,and More Power... 87 22RE Air Intake Modification

Guest Snailmailtrucker

Guest Snailmailtrucker

Here is a YouTube Video I made a couple of years ago just after I bought my 87 Toyota New Horizon,  everything works 78,000 miles. Bought her on the Oregon Coast in 2014. Like I said in the Video, I have done this a number of times to different vehicles and Always had great results ! Along with more HP and MPG's....when you put your foot to the Floor you can hear the Difference....  Bigly !

Y'all can thank me later !

Snailmailtrucker

Edited by Snailmailtrucker

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very interesting.  After watching your video, I checked mine even though it is a 6 cyl.  Nothing like the 22re but, I decided to check out inside the canister. Very nasty and almost completely clogged with dirt and debris.  It's a KN so, I washed it clean and it's ready to go.  Thanks for jogging my memory regarding something I should have done some time ago.

On 3/27/2017 at 0:19 AM, Snailmailtrucker said:

Here is a YouTube Video I made a couple of years ago just after I bought my 87 Toyota New Horizon,  everything works 78,000 miles. Bought her on the Oregon Coast in 2014. Like I said in the Video, I have done this a number of times to different vehicles and Always had great results ! Along with more HP and MPG's....when you put your foot to the Floor you can hear the Difference....  Bigly !

Y'all can thank me later !

Snailmailtrucker

Let's see the dino numbers.

I'm not a mechanic but this makes perfect since to me! Saw many videos on Utube after watching yours and many people have done the same to different engines. My question is how much louder the engine is after the mod when accelerating and cruising @ 55? Great idea I think??

57 minutes ago, Maineah said:

Let's see the dino numbers.

None I've found for the DIY mod. K&N publish what I'm sure are the best they could find (since they're trying to sell their filters) and HP gains aren't spectacular and maybe not even detectable (or repeatable?) with a butt dyno. Up to 3hp& 5hp at higher revs, next to nothing at lower revs.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=57-9006

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=57-9008

" K&N does not make any general fuel economy claims. We simply encourage you to try our washable air filter products for yourself."

http://www.knfilters.com/filtercharger.htm

Their Dyno sheets.

K&N 57-9006_dyno.pdf

K&N 57-9008_dyno.pdf

I do have the K&N filter in Grannie but am interested in the increased air flow due to the air intake modification and possible performance gains. Anything to improve the 22RE even a little. I'm concerned about the increased noise. My engine compartment has no sound damping material and not much inside the cab!

Well, the dyno charts show the gains after completely eliminating the factory air box, so I don't think you'll see any better than that. I also doubt that Toyota left many 'easy' HP or MPG on the table when they designed their system. Maybe a bit to reduce induction noise and reduce the possibility of hydrolocking. It's all about compromises.

Hydrolocking?? What's that Derek? Anyway your bursting my bubble Lol!

Hydrolocking can happen when you drive through a big puddle, water gets sucked into the intake and fills the cylinder(s) with water (which is incompressible). Not sure how likely/possible this is (but don't want to find out) with a Toyota motorhome modified from factory stock, but it does happen to the young'uns who modify their Hondas with 'cold air intakes'. :)

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/engine-hydrolock-how-water-can-damage-or-destroy-your-engine-90270.html

Thanks! Not sure how water could get up there but I'll check it out first.

Ha Ha! I'm going to try this modification soon. Was hoping others had done this and would chime in but I guess not. The OP never replied to my question about how much louder my engine (or his) would sound after the Mod which is a concern so I guess I can't Thank him:-)

The limiting factor is the Air Flow Meter, you dont need more airbox inlet than the sq inches of the AFM inlet

15 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

Ha Ha! I'm going to try this modification soon. Was hoping others had done this and would chime in but I guess not. The OP never replied to my question about how much louder my engine (or his) would sound after the Mod which is a concern so I guess I can't Thank him:-)

Ok a 2.4 liter engine at any given time only can flow .6 liters of air, any stock system/air filter can flow several times that much air no problem any loss would be to turbulence. If I paid the ridicules money for an intake system I definitely want more performance than noise. If you are on the track with an engine that turns 12 grand you don’t want any thing in the way and they don’t care about dust and dirt but the returns on a daily driver are just shy of detectable. When I was a kid we used to put the air filter lids on up side down it made a lot more noise and we perceived a huge gain in power that was just not there.

12 hours ago, WME said:

The limiting factor is the Air Flow Meter, you dont need more airbox inlet than the sq inches of the AFM inlet

Yep and it would be better if it were round with no vane inside.

Well I guess I understand what you'll are saying now. I was trying to compare this mod to back in the day when air scoops forced more air in the carburetor for increased engine performance. Is Fuel injection different?

I think the greater (than 'forcing' more air) benefit from the old 'Ram Air' was supplying the carb(s) with cooler, denser air which could then 'hold' more fuel into the carbs compared to the hot air under the hood. Same as today's efforts with the Cold Air Induction (CAI) systems. More O2 and fuel in, bigger bang out.

So this wouldn't apply to the 22RE due to fuel injection? More air in but not more fuel? Sorry for so many questions. I'm just trying to understand why supplying more air wouldn't improve performance to some degree. I'm not as smart as you mechanical guys! Thanks for all your responses!

My thoughts are that if the OEM air box/filter housing was such a restriction that Toyota would have enlarged/improved them at very little expense if it provided free/easy/cheap HP and MPG. I'm sure they would have loved to up the HP from 116 to 121 if it was that simple.

That says it all Derek Thanks! Will leave things alone and just Enjoy my Toy.

Guest Snailmailtrucker

With people like you...Humans would have never invented the wheel !

The Noise level is not noticeable until you put to the Floor....then you know that you actually have an engine at the other end of your gas pedal cable !

I didn't do any "Scientific Studies or contact the nearest University to see what caused the Noticable increase in Power or gas Mileage....stay with your pokey old ToyoCamper....Mine will run all day at 70mph as long as I'm not into a strong wind or going up a grade.... even had her up to 80 once. I pass every other Toyota Motorhome I see ....and I am sure they are scratching their heads when I do !

People like me...ummmm? I appreciate your response Snail but I also value the opinions of the OP's and it doesn't seem anyone here agrees with you regarding the performance & mileage increase. I'm just seeking knowledge. Best to you!

6 hours ago, Snailmailtrucker said:

With people like you...Humans would have never invented the wheel !

The Noise level is not noticeable until you put to the Floor....then you know that you actually have an engine at the other end of your gas pedal cable !

I didn't do any "Scientific Studies or contact the nearest University to see what caused the Noticable increase in Power or gas Mileage....stay with your pokey old ToyoCamper....Mine will run all day at 70mph as long as I'm not into a strong wind or going up a grade.... even had her up to 80 once. I pass every other Toyota Motorhome I see ....and I am sure they are scratching their heads when I do !

We have every reason to be skeptical. For one you posted a video of you cutting the air box and then nothing. So how much did your mileage increase. At 70 are you using your overdrive and have you had any problems with the transmission overheating or do you even know. Over a decade on Toyota groups I have seen hundreds of members looking for that holy grail of more power and mileage. Internet wide there are thousands searching for the same result. I can't find a single other post that just involves chopping up the air box. Seems strange that it's so simple but no one else ever thought of it.

Linda S

I built a 22RE with a lot  more hp than a stock engine. Lots of things tried for even more power. Ended up with a stock air inlet and an aftermarket filter. Again the choke point was the AFM and nobody makes an HP AFM.

Thanks you people WME from this people Mark!

Guest Snailmailtrucker

As I said....With people like you...Humans would have never invented the Wheel....

Don't take it personal...it was directed to all of you who only want to Batch and moan and 

stay in your own little bubbles !

Sorry I wasted my time trying to help closed minded people out of their own little Rut ! 

Oh I fully intend to try it. My son already picked up a air box and is cutting it for me. Won't be able to get it put in until May cause I don't live near him but will post as soon as I can test it out for sure. Cost nothing so why not. Do you even have mileage figures for your rig since the changes? On another post you mentioned you haven't driven it much. I drive 700 miles every month in my rig through some rugged territory with steep hills so if it helps I thank you. Your attitude isn't helping with our acceptance at all though. Lots of us disagree all the time but we usually don't get bent out of shape about it. Everyone has the right to their own opinions

Linda S

8 hours ago, Snailmailtrucker said:

As I said....With people like you...Humans would have never invented the Wheel....

Don't take it personal...it was directed to all of you who only want to Batch and moan and 

stay in your own little bubbles !

Sorry I wasted my time trying to help closed minded people out of their own little Rut ! 

I think you're the one who has taken this pretty typical Forum post personally. I'm interested in learning, but after an exhaustive search of the interweb with the Google machine, I don't find any documented tests that support what you claim in your video. If you can provide any supporting evidence, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would read it.

Meanwhile:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIN8Q_4iaxU

7 hours ago, linda s said:

Oh I fully intend to try it. My son already picked up a air box and is cutting it for me. Won't be able to get it put in until May cause I don't live near him but will post as soon as I can test it out for sure. Cost nothing so why not. Do you even have mileage figures for your rig since the changes? On another post you mentioned you haven't driven it much. I drive 700 miles every month in my rig through some rugged territory with steep hills so if it helps I thank you. Your attitude isn't helping with our acceptance at all though. Lots of us disagree all the time but we usually don't get bent out of shape about it. Everyone has the right to their own opinions

Linda S

One of the things that always happens when someone comes up with anything like I put Brand X air filter in and I have way more power and my MPG went up by 2 MPG, with no supporting documentation or even a reasonable comparison. It would be interesting if you could do an actual comparison.   Same trip, same temperature, speed, everything equal, wind etc.

6 hours ago, jjrbus said:

Same trip, same temperature, speed, everything equal, wind etc.

'Tain't gonna happen. Even getting consistent results (day to day) on a chassis dyno are hard to get due to fluctuations in only a couple of variables:- temperature and relative humidity. Climate control in the garage would take care of that, of course.

But the biggest variable is always the nut behind the wheel. :)

5 hours ago, Derek up North said:

'Tain't gonna happen. Even getting consistent results (day to day) on a chassis dyno are hard to get due to fluctuations in only a couple of variables:- temperature and relative humidity. Climate control in the garage would take care of that, of course.

But the biggest variable is always the nut behind the wheel. :)

I remember being surprised at the difference in MPG temperature can make. A simple little thing such as warmer temperatures raising tire pressure can skew a test and some claim temperature can affect MPG by 25% and the gas blends are different for different temps.

So when someone says they get better MPG with Brand X air filter or magical transmission fluid, I can't disagree with them, they very well may be getting better MPG. 

Still not going to spend my first communion money on it!