More MPGs,and More Power... 87 22RE Air Intake Modification

Guest Snailmailtrucker

Speaking of heat, the stock airbox is all about cold air in. This mod allows hot air in the inlet tract. Think of where the exhaust is on the 22RE is.

Now I'm all about a bigger cold inlet tube to the airbox. Its one thing I didn't try

Edited by WME

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

The off-road crowd seem to like doing what they call the 'battery/airbox swap'.

100_0484.jpg

I'm not going to spend too much time looking for any dyno results. I don't even own a 22RE!

That's what I was talking about no more air but less turbulence however it's still not a cold air intake and you would be hard pressed to record any real difference except at WOT. Want to see a big difference? Buy a turbo kit.

Great discussions! I'm going to be like Linda (my Heroine) and give it a try! Got a used 22RE air box on eBay like jj suggested to mess with and will post results later this Summer. Seems like its worth a try. I googled air box mods and Many people are doing this on various engines so something must be up?? For $60 worth a try can always go back to stock!

25 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

Great discussions! I'm going to be like Linda (my Heroine) and give it a try! Got a used 22RE air box on eBay like jj suggested to mess with and will post results later this Summer. Seems like its worth a try. I googled air box mods and Many people are doing this on various engines so something must be up?? For $60 worth a try can always go back to stock!

Sometimes I play with things because it is my sandbox and I make the rules. My last one was converting a window AC to a roof air, a failure but it was fun. I think I could have pulled it off if I had access to a decent metal brake or had started with a different donor ac. 

34 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

For $60 worth a try can always go back to stock!

For $60 less than that, you could 'test the concept' by rigging up some way to keep the upper and lower halves of the airbox from fully closing. Without one to look at I can't really suggest how, but I'd start with a roll of duct tape, wire clothes hangers and some zipties. :)

Me too jj! I read your posts on your AC installation and I thought it worked for you. It was Very Cool no pun intended! Back to the drawing board?

That's funny Derek!! Already bought the box. Get here in a week. So we'll see!

On 4/2/2017 at 8:22 PM, markwilliam1 said:

Me too jj! I read your posts on your AC installation and I thought it worked for you. It was Very Cool no pun intended! Back to the drawing board?

Window AC install in bathroom window worked well (same AC I tried to convert to a roof air)   Converting to roof air was a failure, but did not destroy AC.  Not back to the board, I am happy with the 8K window ac, it does everything I need it to do.

Edited by jjrbus

OH well, to bad we could have learned something from each other..

All this reminds of a couple of things, " The emperors new clothes"  and from National Treasure " Thomas Edison When asked about the failures of trying to make the incandescence light, he answered I haven't failed, I just learned 200 ways not to make a light bulb"

From what I read even the go-go guys aren't claiming a HP increase but a better throttle response with the AFM/Battery swap. When I built my engine I used a enlarged throttle body, it did add HP with the cam and head mode, but the increase was at 4000rpm +.

I agree. That's too bad. The guy had quite an attitude for some reason. WME, I really like your idea about expanding  the cold air inlet tube for increased air flow. I got my used cold air box today in great condition. Any ideas on how to accomplish this? Where to get a bigger air inlet tube? I don't have any metal cutting tools except drill bits and a file LOL!

Having been a motor head all my life and having run K&N and K&N type air filters on many different engines I can not honestly say that I have ever noticed any real HP or fuel mileage gains with naturally aspirated engines. Sounded meaner and so the psychological impact translates to "IT'S GOTTA HAVE MORE POWER CAUSE IT SOUNDS MEANER". If anything maybe the engine can rpm up quicker. Now my 7.3 L turbo charged diesel I think (key word "I THINK") did benefit from a K&N type filter and a new cold air box. But I am also running a tuner on that engine. The tuner really makes the difference. I can pull a 5000 pound trailer up a 6% grade at 65 mph and the truck itself weighs 10,000 pounds empty. Sure would like to see some real world dyno tests with and without a K&N type filter on the 22 and V6 engines. Heck just going up a hill with an empty fuel tank as opposed to a full fuel tank will increase HP to the rear wheels. 

Here is K&N web page for the 22's http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=33-2009

Now the V6 is a different story if you install complete kit 3.3 HP gain http://www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx?type=all&year=1991&make=TOYOTA&model=4 Runner&engine=3.0L

Your the first person I recall saying that they noticed no improvement with a K&N filter, sure you installed it right :  ).  For as long as I remember I keep hearing I put a K&N filter on and WOW my MPG went up by XXX and now I can go 120 mph where I only could get up to 110 before.  

So I say "dats ah nice" and move on.    On occasion I will ask for an independent test results for the K&N and I get testimonials and hearsay.   

Wish I would have bought their stock years ago.                            Jim

19 hours ago, Gulfstream Greg said:

Having been a motor head all my life and having run K&N and K&N type air filters on many different engines I can not honestly say that I have ever noticed any real HP or fuel mileage gains with naturally aspirated engines. Sounded meaner and so the psychological impact translates to "IT'S GOTTA HAVE MORE POWER CAUSE IT SOUNDS MEANER". If anything maybe the engine can rpm up quicker. Now my 7.3 L turbo charged diesel I think (key word "I THINK") did benefit from a K&N type filter and a new cold air box. But I am also running a tuner on that engine. The tuner really makes the difference. I can pull a 5000 pound trailer up a 6% grade at 65 mph and the truck itself weighs 10,000 pounds empty. Sure would like to see some real world dyno tests with and without a K&N type filter on the 22 and V6 engines. Heck just going up a hill with an empty fuel tank as opposed to a full fuel tank will increase HP to the rear wheels. 

Here is K&N web page for the 22's http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=33-2009

Now the V6 is a different story if you install complete kit 3.3 HP gain http://www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx?type=all&year=1991&make=TOYOTA&model=4 Runner&engine=3.0L

What about this for the v-6?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222021729992?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

intake2.jpg

As OP have commented on it would not be a cold air intake anymore. My understanding is the cooler the intake air the better the combustion? I want to modify my cold air intake on my 22RE but others have said the intake air would then be warm. I really wonder how much difference that would be? Trying to figure out how to enlarge the cold air intake tube and air box opening to keep the air cool. But Not today. Supposed to snow!

21 hours ago, Gulfstream Greg said:

Diesels take to that sort of stuff like ducks to water. Especially engine management stuff. The diesels have no throttle plate so they are all ways sucking all the air you can give it then add a turbo to force more in and your really getting some where. Here is Toyota's 4 liter cold air intake they actually put some though into it it is inside of the right fender liner and has lovers down at the bottom inline with the tire so that helps mover the air around, the lump is a silencer to reduce intake noise

IMG_0377.JPG

http://www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx?type=all&year=1991&make=TOYOTA&model=4 Runner&engine=3.0L

3.3 HP @ 4500 (close to max revs.) is only about 2 percent is it worth it? Like you say maybe leaving the lawn chairs and the BB grill home would help as much.

I think the fastest bicycle speed was set was many  decades ago behind a train!

1995 Bonneville USA, behind a special Porsche 166.9 MPH. 

2016 Battle Mt USA streamlined NO Pace Car. 89.58 MPH. 

11 hours ago, WME said:

1995 Bonneville USA, behind a special Porsche 166.9 MPH. 

2016 Battle Mt USA streamlined NO Pace Car. 89.58 MPH. 

That's a lot of peddling wonder how big the crank gear was?

It only works with EFI

3 hours ago, redskinman said:

Are you talking to me? My toyota is EFI,91 v-6

No talking to Joe from Dover

9 hours ago, redskinman said:

Oh ok cool.So nobody has any thoughts on that 38 dollar kit for the V-6?

I spend the money on soap, water and wax, amazing the performance boost I get after a good wash and wax. :lol: