Old water heater replacement

Have what looks to be the original water heater in 1986 sunrader classic (rear dinette).  From what I can tell, the original model is "rv3-x".  Not sure if this is accurate.  

Just puchased a second hand water heater (suburban sw6d) that is new, save for some missing parts.

The module was switched out by p/o.  Likewise with brass? the burner tube.  

It also appears to be missing the little black cover. (See picture)

The tank is unused.  Not sure if the part where gas hooks up is good or not.  

My question is concerning replacement parts.  E.g. The black cover, new module, etc.

Also, the inner burn chamber is coated with some (gray) flaking carbon material, or perhaps some factory coating?  Anyone know about this.  Water tank looks as though it has never has water it, and the burn chamber appears in burnt.  

From the picture attached, does this appear to be in otherwise working order?

Last picture is of 'new' water heater.

First three of existing.

By the way... picked this up for $70.  

Hope it turns out to be a good deal, and not otherwise.

IMG_1659.JPG

IMG_1550.JPG

IMG_1553.JPG

IMG_2217.JPG

Additionally...

does anyone have a wiring diagram for the various electrical connections?  Will like to ensure that I hook everything up as it should be.  Pictures are appreciated!

Also... if I am replacing the old o.e.m. Sunrader h2o heater with a suburban sw6d(5120a),

what door will I need?  Will like to get a flush mount.  Is colonial white the white that best matched sunrader gel coat?

So the new one is a 6 gallon and the old is 3? I see where your old one comes in the camper and the new one will be about 3 inches deeper. No room. The new one looks like its a electric light one too instead of pilot. Installation instructions should be available online. Have no clue on color. Never had to change a door. Go to RV place and compare

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...

Linda S.  

Yeah, wish I could have found a decent 3 or 4 gallon water heater to put in there.

concerning the depth... I reckon I can squeeze it in there.  

Fortunately, I am also rebuilding the rear dinette.  Converting into a desk space of sorts.  Putting in back bench like in the early models.  So I ought to get it to fit okay.  Is there any problem other then the depth size that i should know about concerning putting this 6 gallon heater in?

• 2 months later...

Is there a built in check valve in these water heaters?

Or, will i need to add one (or two?) to this h2o heater?

Is there a thread that details check valve placement in potable water system?

Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

Okay finally getting back at this little corner project.  

Installed sw6d water heater and attached to new plumbing in rig.  Purchased a new control module.

It appears as though i a mother missing the D.C. Junction box.  Have not been able to find new junction box online.  Any leads?

Wiring is screwy.  Some missing.  Will replace with 105c 18awg wire.  Does anyone have any pics of the wiring placement.

Found wiring diagram, yet it is not clear.  Real life pictures will be. Great help.  

-Red wires to from thermostat to where?  

-which wires to d.c. Junction/from where?  And then on to control module?

-Positive power wire is black and neutral is black?  Is this correct?

Any pics will be helpful!  

-Also, opted to use 5' flexible supply hose for propane, instead of rigid copper tubing.  Any potential issues there?

Thanks all.

My head is spinning on that one. Only thing I can comment on is use copper for the propane. 

3 hours ago, Maineah said:

My head is spinning on that one. Only thing I can comment on is use copper for the propane. 

I opted to use  5' flexible propane hose by Mister Heater.  

Is there a potential issue with this?

9 hours ago, Mister Blu said:

I opted to use  5' flexible propane hose by Mister Heater.  

Is there a potential issue with this?

I would not use flex hose inside of the camper. The rubber lines are only generally used at points of vibration between propane tanks and rigid black iron in everything from popups to monster motorhomes. Another point rodents don't chew on copper pipes and they do not deteriorate with age.