Awning Install; proper seal to Sunrader.

Mister Blu

Have an '86 Sunrader with a Trans-Awning 2000 that was mounted using 1" long #8 self tapping sheet metal screws.

i recently took the awing down to clean, re-seal, and to reinstall.

Reckoned it best to move up to #10 1 inch panhead screws.  A&E(makers of trans-awning) originally recommends using 3/4" #10 panhead screws.  So, using a little fatter screws, i put some butyl tape where the screw will be going through and reinstalled.  Two of the new screws 'free-spun', apparently not biting onto much of anything.  

Do not like the way it is sealed, nor the way it is mounted.  

Any recommendations?  Did not find anything concerning sealing it up against Fiberglass.  The concern are the almost 20 screw holes through the fiberglass.  Do not want rain entering through any of these.  

Shall I take some Dicor to the top seam where the awning connects to the fiberglass body?  

What do you all do?

• 3 weeks later...

By all means use the proper rail. I thought from your original post that the PO just screwed the rail to the coach. Are you saying that they screwed the fabric to the coach??

The original A&E Trans-Awning 2000 did not come with an awning rail stock.  

Pawning rail was optional for temporary and semi-permanent installation.

for permanent installation,manual says t screw box awning directly to coach. 

Indeed, this is how it came to me.  I do not approve of how it seals, and will likely be more confident with the addition of an awning rail.  What have other sunrader owners done?

That is an ancient awning, it was designed for VW buses. It mounts to the rain gutter rail. No idea how to mount the box on a smooth fiberglass camper, other than how it is.

Do you have this?? http://www.andrewvanis.com/Vanagon/Dometic_Transawn_2000_instructions/BulletinE-1.pdf