Main gas hand valve leak

I am getting ready to leave and I wanted to try out the gas appliances and see that everything is working. When I turned the main valve on I had a stream of gas coming out around the packing I guess. I could feel the gas on my hand a little and I could hear it too. When I turn the valve all the way open it nearly stops but you can still smell it. Can anyone help me with what I need to do here. I know nothing about this type of issue, at least not yet.

The LP gas tank is half full. I think I am going to empty it then try to get the valve repaired by a person that is trained to do this kind of work. The place I fill up with gas is a good place to start I'd guess. Thanks anyway.

Most places will not service an existing fill valve. If your tank is over 10 years old they will not touch it unless its been recertified within the past 10 years.

Below is a link for a replacement valve. It might do the trick. This company seems very reliable (and affordable). I bought my 2 stage regulator from them and it works great.

https://www.propanewarehouse.com/shop/propane-valves/asme-valve-with-relief/

The fixed tanks are exempt. Yes it should be serviced by a propane service center all though it's just a valve with a over pressure regulator some thing you don't want is leaks. Turning the valve all the way on should be done with any propane tank that really should stop gas escaping form a leaky seal. If it's half full that means you still have about 3 1/2 gallons in it a propane service center could deal with that for you if you don't want to burn it off.

• 3 weeks later...