New mystery! Porch light switch

Brian

Well, I didn't think I'd be back so soon!

The Porch light switch inside the Toy has an LED monitor light which has never worked—I looked at it last year and saw that the green wire from the LED to the switch was not connected.

Today I decided to wire it up … I wonder if I did it wrong? Two purple wires coming into back of switch with connectors. One was not hooked up to switch. One green and one red wire from LED, red wire is soldered to one prong at back of switch, green wire not connected to anything, so I figured the green wire would go from the other terminal of the LED to the other prong of the switch.

I connected everything up, and it works, but in reverse! When the porch light is switched ON the pilot LED goes OFF, and when the porch light is switched OFF, the pilot LED goes ON.  :wacko::wacko: I switched the purple wires, but still get the same result!!

Is this a bad switch? Or did I connect the green wire to the wrong place? The porch light works without the LED being attached.

Each prong on the switch gives me a reading of about 6 on the multimeter when connected to either the green or red terminal on the LED …

Edited by Brian

Not sure without a picture.

Is it possible the LED is a locater light rather than an on/off light?

I suspect the green wire from the LED goes to ground. Try grounding to the chassis or the (-) feed wire from the switch.

Edited by fred heath

Yep, dawned on me later that it is likely to be a ground, thanks for confirming my suspicion. Will check it out later this week (why does work always get in the way of real life?  :P:P)

Most lighted switches operate that way on/is/off