Thoughts on what it would take to fix this windshield?

vizualeyesit

Hey you all. I'm looking to purchase my first Toy but it has this windshield problem. It's cracked and part of the frame looks to be rusted out. Do you all have any ideas on what it might take to fix this properly? As well as a potential cost involved?

IMG_0281.JPG

What year? The oldies from the '70s are hard to find replacement glass for I hear.

The 'proper' fix for the rust is to cut out the rust and have fresh metal welded in.

I'm not going to guess the cost. Maybe if you showed the picture to a body shop they could give you and idea, though ideally they'd get to inspect the vehicle in person.

3 hours ago, Derek up North said:

What year? The oldies from the '70s are hard to find replacement glass for I hear.

The 'proper' fix for the rust is to cut out the rust and have fresh metal welded in.

I'm not going to guess the cost. Maybe if you showed the picture to a body shop they could give you and idea, though ideally they'd get to inspect the vehicle in person.

Thank you! It's a 1990 Dolphin with the V6. The problem is it's a 10 hour drive from me so it's not likely that I can get it into a shop. 

With the windshield cracked I'm not sure I'm able to drive it legally and that it might completely bust out if I hit a bump just right on the way home. Also didn't want to get in over my head if it was going to cost a lot. Thanks so much for the advice though! I really appreciate it.

might be surprised - if you check with the "come to you" window fix operators, they might make it a lot easier.  IF the frame is rusted, they will tell you and if you do not get it fixed, all bets are off.  Saw this play out at a glass place in melbourne FL while getting a chip repaired on my toy,  In Florida, all insurors have to fix windshields with no deductible

Need to know where it is to get an idea of the cost. Big city usually pretty reasonable, couple of hundred bucks. Out in the country harder to find someone to come fix it. Can't tell if crack goes all the way to other side at the top. In California it's still legal if crack doesn't go all the way across. Don't think it would bust out on the road though. Call some places local the advertise mobile glass and see what they would charge

Linda S

25 minutes ago, DanAatTheCape said:

might be surprised - if you check with the "come to you" window fix operators, they might make it a lot easier.  IF the frame is rusted, they will tell you and if you do not get it fixed, all bets are off.  Saw this play out at a glass place in melbourne FL while getting a chip repaired on my toy,  In Florida, all insurors have to fix windshields with no deductible

What the seller said was something to the affect of it sat too long with the windshield being cracked and now more extensive work needed to be done. I'll check on the "come to you" places and see what they say. Thank you!

19 minutes ago, linda s said:

Need to know where it is to get an idea of the cost. Big city usually pretty reasonable, couple of hundred bucks. Out in the country harder to find someone to come fix it. Can't tell if crack goes all the way to other side at the top. In California it's still legal if crack doesn't go all the way across. Don't think it would bust out on the road though. Call some places local the advertise mobile glass and see what they would charge

Linda S

Hey Linda it's in a small town in the middle of Florida a few hours south of Orlando. I wonder if I put some heavy duty tape on it around that bottom area would it stabilize it enough to get it back to Tennessee.

I see lots of auto glass replacement places on craigslist Orlando and none in Nashville. Better to get it replaced where there is competition for your business anyway. If there is an ad for this RV might be good to post it here. Sometimes we can see problems just from pics

Linda S

2 hours ago, linda s said:

I see lots of auto glass replacement places on craigslist Orlando and none in Nashville. Better to get it replaced where there is competition for your business anyway. If there is an ad for this RV might be good to post it here. Sometimes we can see problems just from pics

Linda S

Okay thank you for that. It's not posted for sale anywhere but here are a few pics. He said the tires need to be replaced but other than the windshield it's fine. It's been sitting in a campground for a year and a half which concerns me a little but not not enough to deter me. Let me know your thoughts. :) It has 162k miles on the V6 automatic.

IMG_0282.JPG

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

Oh my. The same extremely rare floor plan someone else just posted but that one was in California. Different outside paint but a weird coincidence. 162,000 miles is a lot if no timing  belt or valve adjustment has ever been done. Could have lots of problems and you would need to have it checked out thoroughly before you try to drive it anywhere. Old tires can be a disaster too. Sitting so long, one trip and they can start to blow. Unless you have someone there to help you before you try to drive it home, I don't know if I would chance it for more than a few miles. Is it the owner your talking to? Can he give you any maintenance records?

Linda S

6 hours ago, linda s said:

Oh my. The same extremely rare floor plan someone else just posted but that one was in California. Different outside paint but a weird coincidence. 162,000 miles is a lot if no timing  belt or valve adjustment has ever been done. Could have lots of problems and you would need to have it checked out thoroughly before you try to drive it anywhere. Old tires can be a disaster too. Sitting so long, one trip and they can start to blow. Unless you have someone there to help you before you try to drive it home, I don't know if I would chance it for more than a few miles. Is it the owner your talking to? Can he give you any maintenance records?

Linda S

Thanks Linda. I love the floor plan. The idea of having those back windows to back up to a beach sounds amazing to me. I had already planned on changing the tires before I drove it home because I'm a worry wart when it comes to stuff like that. I'll ask him about maintenance records. He said it had the 1 ton 6 lug axle upgrade but I didn't think to ask about timing belt or valve adjustments. The engine is my biggest concern at this point. I love that it has the V6 auto but also know that those supposedly don't run as long and yes 162,000 miles is a bunch. I'll look into what an engine rebuilt might cost for that just in case. It's the owner Im talking to but he's only had it for going on two years and it's been in the campground since. 

The windows above the cab were taken out and that kind of makes me sad from a light perspective but what should I look for there from leaking perspective? Seems obvious that they wouldn't have been taken out if there wasn't a leak at some point. Also there is some repaired damage I can see from the bottom front drivers side corner of the coach. He says it hasn't leaked since he's owned it.

Lots of people would be glad the possible front leak situation had already been taken care of. Came with a full float axle from the factory so didn't need an upgrade. I would try to find a mechanic nearby to give it complete inspection and definitely get those tires. Most places don't have the tires you need. Plan ahead so they can order them

Linda S

4 hours ago, linda s said:

Lots of people would be glad the possible front leak situation had already been taken care of. Came with a full float axle from the factory so didn't need an upgrade. I would try to find a mechanic nearby to give it complete inspection and definitely get those tires. Most places don't have the tires you need. Plan ahead so they can order them

Linda S

Thank you Linda! I'll do that.

Any idea if the 91 Dolphin came with a generator box/compartment? This one doesn't have a generator and he doesn't know if it has the box for one or not. I know I could always get an aftermarket one to power the air when boondocking but would love to get the 2800 one that came with most of these. I just can't tell from the photos if it looks like it has the box or not.