My 1986 Sunland express needs shocks. I called Napa and they don't have anything they can recommend without bringing the old ones in and getting numbers or measuring them. I've looked at the shocks. They look like they have been on there for 31 years. Can anybody suggest a way to deal with this? Thanks.

Bilstein is the only manufacturer who specifically lists a shock for a 'Toyota Motorhome*. For anyone else, you'll just have to look up 'Toyota Pickup'.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&inc_subcat=1&categories_id=1076&year_select=1986&make_select=654&model_select=8931&x=82&y=13

Others have reported good results with KYB.

If you chose to 'cheap out' with something like Monroe, make sure to get their heaviest duty version.

* I just noticed that the same number Bilstein lists for the MH is listed for the 4x4 Pickup.

Can't say enough good things about SDTrucksprings.com. They were inexpensive and delivered fast. Got my airbag kit for my 1986 Sunland Express from them, too. You won't believe the difference in the ride when you swap these out. Good luck!

I went ahead and ordered the Bilstein's Derek. I got the 24-184830 for the front and the 24-002585 for the rear. AJUSA had them or could get them and they were specifically for Toyota MH's. Got them for $65 ea. with free shipping. Thank again for your help. One more thing I would like to ask. I don't think my MH had air bags. Should I add them while I am doing this?

You might consider a new steering damper, new bushings in the leaf springs, and sway bar bushings and the rubber in the sway bar ends.

Edited by BobBeery
clarity

Mike, I totally agree the Bilsteins are more than worth the extra $$! Drastically improved the ride. Smooth, corners much better and helped with cross winds . They did not raise the rear though. If you have low clearance in the back I had my rear leaf springs re-arched and added 2 more heavy duty leafs to each side. It raised my rear around 4 inches! I can now get to my spare tire effortlessly. Also as BobBerry suggested I replaced all the bushings and all the rubber. Everything was totally shot due to age not mileage. No need for airbags after these repairs. If you can find a "Old School" shop that can do this type of work. When they re-arched my leafs they heated the leafs in a blast furnace. Good Luck!

Thanks Derek! I found that out but all's well now. Is it Spring up there yet?