'83 Sunrader: worth my travel time?

OK.  Followed up with seller by phone.  Here's what I learned:

1983 Sunrader 21 feet, Rear Dinette, 98000 original miles, manual transmission, FWD, clean title, smogged yesterday.

Owner, young guy (probably late twenties) said he bought it a year and a half ago.  He & ex girlfriend had a "dream" of traveling.  He sounded firm on its' having a proper axle.   I grilled him about water damage in the coach, he claims he hasn't noticed "anything much."  Apparently knew nothing at all about RVs when he got it, thus has since paid little attention to any details.

RV was driven on several long trips, but has been parked for seven months.  Currently, battery fires right up.  Said PO claimed all systems worked fine. but with exception of AC, seller claims not to have used any systems while traveling.  Did say propane stove worked, but hasn't fired up the oven.  Ditto with shower/water pump.  Ditto refrigerator.  Said AC was used camping in Joshua tree.  I don't care a whit about AC, never use it, will remove any roof units asap, but good negotiating price down if not working...

I am a Luddite, only got this laptop recently, and yet don't know how to copy/paste live links without a mouse.  Mine died.  This seller made it clear he is motivated and anxious to sell.  He wants to follow his ex girlfriend back to Minnesota asap.  He my sell it this weekend, but if he does not I will drive down there and have a look.  He is entertaining offers eagerly.

BTW:  He bought 4 new tires a year ago and put two on front, two rear.  Didn't know age of old tires.  Probably not a good idea to replace two of the 4 rear tires...Your thoughts?   He seemed an intelligent and decent young man, but already packing up and sounding a little frantic.

Please check listing: craigslist SF Bay Area/'83 Sunrader    ***Thanks!***

Derek, thank you for looking...Now if we assume the possibility of proper axle, give me your best intuitive stab at the whole rest of the ball of wax.  Don't worry, I won't hold you responsible for any travel decision I make, and I won't rob your berry patch next summer on my maiden voyage...

Just give me your take on pics and so far available suppositions.  All in all, she's a pretty little rig.  Lots of room for solar and Fantastic fans.

Yes, will follow up on inquisition regarding tires!  Now thoughts on above..

I like it. Axle is definitely good. Interior is pretty much original. Your going to want the change those curtains in the front cause they were put in when it was made, maybe the back too. Cushions in the back look like they need replacing too. Like Derek said make sure the tires are 185r14 tires. They need to be a D load tire. Also if you buy it and want to see if the fridge works it needs to be parked level. Little bull's-eye level I set in the bottom of the freezer to check is what I use. Don't leave it there of course.

Linda S

3 minutes ago, linda s said:

I like it. Like Derek said make sure the tires are 185r14 tires. They need to be a D load tire.

Linda S

Fingers crossed.  It[s a soap opera.  Seller is desperate to pursue ex girlfriend back to Minnesota. 

By the way, I did ask why, if he needed to drive to Minnesota in a rush, why he wouldn't make the trip in the Toy.  I believed his answer;  he didn't realize Toys require upkeep and would not thrive with neglect in Minnesota.   His Toy dream is dead.

I do not care one way or other if fridge works, but will not pay for non working fridge.  I much prefer a chest style 12 volt, which is not picky about "level".   Thanks, Linda for the "take my own level with me" suggestion.  I will take a step ladder, as well, to get up on the roof.  I may not trust that old '83 ladder...

He is desperate to sell quickly, so I may miss out.  Like I said yesterday, I need to withdraw funds from credit union to have available.  No ATM will give that much cash.  I am beginning to get the drift.   Goddess, this is intense!

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

Ask him to email you more, better resolution pictures.

Will do, Boss.  He's likely to grab the first cash offered before I can get there, but I will pursue this to the extent I am able.  When I asked about tire size I could almost hear him tearing his hair.  The man is frantic to pursue his ex to Minnesota...

I tell you, this Toy search is not without comedy.

Sunrader not sold yet.  Getting my ducks in a row.  Please provide *ballpark* estimates ASAP for negotiating asking price:  $6800/OBO. 

1.  Price per tire for acceptable quality D load tires

2.  Water pump

3.  Hot water heater

I already know cost of fridge replacement.  I can wing it on list of other trouble areas, which likely include roof, window seals, properly patching fiberglass where awning was ripped out, and so on.  I am hoping to take a neighbor/mechanic with me, but if not I will crawl around under coach myself and check for rust, etc.  I'll take my own ladder.  Etc.

Any other system components in coach I have not thought to check?  (I'm hip to water damage issues...)

Any wild guesses as to how *low* I might go in offer if all these things are bad? 

Thank's  ***immensely*** for taking a stab at this! 

Just ball park figures

Tires 80 each

water pump 65

hot water heater 300

Of course installation for all of those.

The roof will never need resealing. Only the holes up there where vents and such are. Windows too cause most owners never get around to them or don't think of it. butyl tape for all will do the trick. I don't use RV sealant. It goes over the screws of the vents and is hell when you need to replace the vent. They are all plastic and out in the open sun they get brittle and crack.

I don't think he will let it go for less than 5500. I wouldn't

Linda S

Linda S

3 hours ago, linda s said:

I don't think he will let it go for less than 5500. I wouldn't

Linda S

Linda, thank you.  You are the cat's pajamas!

Well, just returned from mad dash to credit union (two hour round trip).  Early this morning I spoke to neighbor/mechanic, who agreed to drive me there & help go over everything.  He's not specifically a Toyota man, but he's experienced & sensible.  Before all that, I called the seller, got only voice mail, left message that I could schedule for tomorrow.   Said I had cash.

My heart sank when, just now back from town, found No message from seller.  I checked & discovered the listing had been removed.  I am disappointed, naturally.  But I am getting my ducks in a row.  Once rainy weather breaks, folks will be in the mood to buy goats!  That's next.  It's plain I need to be quickly ready to leave & travel a distance to find what I need.

And tho this prospect fell thru, I have learned much and am "up another peg" in the Toy search.

Let me take this opportunity to say how much I ***greatly appreciate*** your help and awesome wealth of critical info.  Thanks go to Derek also.  You and this entire Toy community are a treasure!

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

Nissan!  Never thought about that...  Are they anywhere *near* as reliable an engine/chassis?

Note:l  seller sez gas will have to be dumped/replaced.  Prolly means it's been sitting.  However this works out, I am likely to buy & drive off, after careful inspection, etc.  If I can, I'd rather hunt N of here than get into that bloody awful LA area...