1977 Toyota Pont-X SR2 resto

So I am about to pickup a new to me '77 Toyota Pont-X SR2... I have done my fair share of research and haven't found all that many registered and on the road in the United States. So far about 5 I have found... I am excited to start tearing into it and getting it back on the road. I have 1 year to complete it before my wife and I hit the road full time in it. Pictures to come.

Awesome glad to see another one. The one im getting is in decent shape tho I going to do a complete tune up and rebuild the carb and then completely redo the entire interior and possibly change up the floor plan.

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Hi we will be looking forward to seeing it. They are just so cute. You had better prepare for lots of delays because of people asking about it. Like every time you stop for gas. Have you seen this Pont-X blog? Cool

https://pontxadventures.wordpress.com/

Linda S

lol ya we are expecting to get the reaction.. I have restored a few vintage Shasta trailers and the attention we got was crazy, everywhere we went it was grabbing attention.

but we r really excited to start working on this one sense we know how rare it is...it was a tough one to buy from the owners but we r finalizing the sell right now so hopefully all goes well.. I will have some pictures up by tonight hopefully 

Edited by Cwalker

Well the day to go pick it up today I showed up and it was a little far gone for the price. I tried to talk with him and tell him how much work it needed and that his price was a little high and he didn't budge so I walked away from it. He told me to get back with him by Friday and he might change his mind sense he's strapped for cash right now So we will see. But here it is as it sits.

How much would y'all spend on it. Interor needed to be completely stripped out and redone, engine needs a complete tune up and carb rebuilt. New tires all around. Possibly new electrical as well?

IMG_5741.JPG

Well I don't know what his asking price is or what the interior looks like but, a complete tune-up is a given on any camper you buy, carburetor rebuild pretty much a given too and any vehicle this age. I've seen a couple of Pont-X beaters, one for sale in San Jose, CA and another one in a storage lot in Oroville. Exterior of this one looks far better than they did. How much is he asking for it. Got any interior pics?

Linda S

Yes I was expecting that with with the motor and carb. I was planning on doing it anyways.. tho the interior would have to be completely torn out to the bare bones and rebuilt. He was asking $2300 for it as it sits or $1500 if he did the entire strip out of the entire interior to the bare shell. Obvious it would need new tires, new electrical. New fuel pump. Etc... it's  been sitting for quite some time now. Does $1500 sound reasonable for it if he did the entire strip out of the interior and I started from scratch?

I mean there's no dents on the exterior at all. Some minor rust in typical areas. A little water damage inside tho it's all old and I'm guessing once stripped them I can really see it and how it looks.

Why would he ask less to do more work. I would want to remove the old interior myself so I know how everything is put together. Wiring, structure you need to know that. 1500 as is, is just saving him a bunch of work. Anything under 2 grand is a good deal. Hell I would probably pay the 2300. We've seen so many gutted vintage motorhomes that never got put back together cause someone got overwhelmed by the project. Barring extreme mold and rot, a step by step approach is the best plan. Very decent price to work around though.

Linda S

Alright with that being said that kinda puts me too ease a little bit. He was pretty firm at the $2300 tho as I as I was walking away from it he said we can do $1500 and he will strip the interor completely for me sense that is the only way I would consider buying it sense I would like to see how the structure was.

i really do appreciate your help. Hopefully myself and thisbowner can work sonthing out now 

I'm confused as well as to why he'd sell for less after stripping it. Unless he's removing solid gold plumbing fixtures!

Does he have it advertised somewhere? If not, I'd say that the chance of him selling for any price before tomorrow is slim. If he's really strapped for cash, he might even take less than $1500!

well sense I told him I wasn't even Remotly interested in at at 2300 due to the amount of work. Thats when he told me $1500 tho I told him I would only buy it for $1500 if it was already stripped out(sense it needed to be anyways).. so he said he can do that... so we will see what the structure looks like after it's stripped.

sounds weird yes I know tho after seeing himself and seeing that it looked like he really needs the money, I think after a few solid days of stripping it and then $1500 in his pocket is worth t for him

Edited by Cwalker

Again letting him do the stripping is a huge mistake. How much do you know about motorhome construction. You learn a lot from tearing things apart. I just cringe at thinking this might be another unfinished gut job. Just a cute rare little motorhome deserves more. Besides I bet there's a ton of stuff in there you could use. Are any appliances left? You don't even know how the paneling is attached at this point

Linda S

hi there.  if i may offer my 2 cents, linda s is spot on with her advice. having hands and eyes on the interior demo will afford very useful knowledge. especially if your plans are to "redo" the interior. knowing how and where things were will help in putting things back. good luck with your venture. hope you get it. it looks really cool. joe from dover

Well I bit the bullet and purchased the vehicle. I negotiated a price with him not touching the vehicle and giving it to me as is. I am somewhat familiar with chinook styleninteror construction, far from a professional but know my way around things and quite familiar with the entire drive train assentials. So I think I have a decent foundation to start on but I know I will have questions as I go along. But already I do appreciate all the helpful knowledge on these already from everybody so far.

Edited by Cwalker

Nothing like learning to swim by jumping in the deep end of the pool. Welcome to the club of crazies.

7 hours ago, WME said:

Nothing like learning to swim by jumping in the deep end of the pool. Welcome to the club of crazies.

That's exactly what I thought too.. tho in the end, I know for sure that at least one more sr2 will be back on the road instead of buried for life, unseen. By me she will get all the love that I can give her and maybe it won't be the perfect restoration but to me she will be perfect.

With such a small size, I'm guessing you really don't have too much space to change the layout much. Before gutting it and realizing you don't have many options, I'd suggest maybe just modifying what's already there (assuming it's not crumbling to dust). Maybe a coat of paint or new facings might give you what you want.

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

With such a small size, I'm guessing you really don't have too much space to change the layout much. Before gutting it and realizing you don't have many options, I'd suggest maybe just modifying what's already there (assuming it's not crumbling to dust). Maybe a coat of paint or new facings might give you what you want.

I was originally going to do that tho it looks like someone in the past already tried remodeling it and did an absolute poor job at that, and with the water damage it has (tho is dried out, which is good) it just needs to be redone. They covered over the original paneling and added all this nonsense stuff which makes it incredibly tight in there. I will get some more pictures of the interior here today.

You, of course, are in a much better position to judge what has to be done. Maybe careful removal of what's been added will lead you back to what was originally there and you can repair the damage rather than just cover it up. Presumably (hopefully), the original designers figured out the best way to use the limited space available.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got her home yesterday morning and I've been working on her solid for a day and a half now. I think I'm about 21 hrs invested into her now since yesterday morning. So far here's the interior pretty much completely 

IMG_5786.JPG

2 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Looks great. Congrats. :)

BTW, you can add more than 1 photo/post.

Thank you, still needs a few little things here and there.. I tried adding more photos but it wasn't letting me