Vented gas cap?

deannak

Hi there  -

Does anybody know whether these Toyotas are supposed to have a vented gas cap or not?  I'm having issues with gas tank venting, and wonder if perhaps I have the wrong type of gas cap.  Also, I'm thinking of buying a locking gas cap before traveling south of the border, and want to make sure I've got the right kind.  My toy home is an 86.

Thanks!   -  Deanna.

I'm thinking about the same thing deannak. Does your gas leak out from the cap after filling up as mine does? My cap is old and the seal is shot. Not sure if this is a venting problem or not. I have to drive around a little after filling up to prevent this. I found a nice locking gas cap on eBay for $18.00 that fits our rigs! Anyone else have a solution for this?

Our gas caps are vented. That means as we use fuel they let air into the tank not out. Hard for a fuel pump to work in a vacuum so the cap keeps the pressure in there at the correct level. Quick search of Oreilly's shows they carry the right caps and some locking ones. Any auto parts store can get the right one for you. Mark if your gas is coming out it probably means the vent line net to the filler hose is clogged. For the same reason as the cap needs to let air in when using fuel your tank has to have a way of letting air out when filling the tank.

Linda S

30 minutes ago, linda s said:

Our gas caps are vented. That means as we use fuel they let air into the tank not out. Hard for a fuel pump to work in a vacuum so the cap keeps the pressure in there at the correct level. Quick search of Oreilly's shows they carry the right caps and some locking ones. Any auto parts store can get the right one for you. Mark if your gas is coming out it probably means the vent line net to the filler hose is clogged. For the same reason as the cap needs to let air in when using fuel your tank has to have a way of letting air out when filling the tank.

Linda S

Thanks, Linda!  That is EXACTLY what I needed to know!  Thank you, thank you!  :)

39 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

I'm thinking about the same thing deannak. Does your gas leak out from the cap after filling up as mine does? My cap is old and the seal is shot. Not sure if this is a venting problem or not. I have to drive around a little after filling up to prevent this. I found a nice locking gas cap on eBay for $18.00 that fits our rigs! Anyone else have a solution for this?

Hi Mark  -

My problem is a bit different...  I haven't had any gas leaking out of the gas cap.  Instead, mind seems like it's not letting air into the gas tank.

What I noticed on mine was 2 problems.  First, it's on the 3rd gas tank in 2 years.  I put in a brand new gas tank just 4 months ago, and it's already leaking.  The previous owner had similar problems, so it seems there's some other problem behind it...

Second, sometimes when I'm just sitting outside around a campsite, reading a book, I would hear a loud "bonk" noise come from my vehicle.  It took me awhile to realize what it was, because the first times I heard it, I assumed it was somebody else's camper causing the noise, since mine was just sitting there.  But sometimes there were no other vehicles around. 

So, doing some research, it seemed to be the gas tank repeatedly contracting with changing temperature and inadequate venting that was causing both the noise, and the stressing to the gas tank that has led to repeated leak problems.  Since I usually hear the noise in the late afternoon after I've stopped driving for the day, and things are cooling off outside, it seems like not allowing air IN could be the problem.

My mechanic has just replaced the gas tank AGAIN for me with a brand new one, but he wasn't sure about the venting issue.  If it's as simple as a gas cap, that would be a wonderful thing!!  :)

Thanks, and good luck with your problem!    -  Deanna.

Wow Deanna how can he not be sure about the venting issue if he has installed the tank? Good Luck. Linda, could you explain how to clean or even where it is " the vent line net to the filler hose??" I have no gas leaks just a little overflow when I fill my tank and then let it sit awhile. I hope this isn't as difficult as Deanna's issue! Thanks!

34 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

Wow Deanna how can he not be sure about the venting issue if he has installed the tank? Good Luck. Linda, could you explain how to clean or even where it is " the vent line net to the filler hose??" I have no gas leaks just a little overflow when I fill my tank and then let it sit awhile. I hope this isn't as difficult as Deanna's issue! Thanks!

The mechanic is the one who suggested that it might be that I don't have the right gas cap, but he wasn't sure if this vehicle needed a vented cap or not.  Also, he said my current configuration doesn't quite match what he's seen in his online vehicle repair info.  I have no idea what one of the previous owners may have done... it could easily be that somebody changed something, and/or bought an incorrect cap. Based on what I found during lengthy roofing repairs, it seems that previous owners had very different skill sets!

Anyway, that's when I decided to ask on the forum about the gas caps -- and very quickly Linda provided the answer!  If there is a solution this simple, I will be a very happy camper!  :)

I hope that works for you! Now I have to figure out how to unclog my vent hose wherever it may be.

6 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

I hope that works for you! Now I have to figure out how to unclog my vent hose wherever it may be.

Not sure but you probably have a shield in front of the rear wheel to protect the fuel line from road debris damage. You need to take it off. The filler neck has 2 hoses attached to it. The fuel filler hose and the vent hose. The little one is what you need to get to. I have used an air compressor to blow that line out and it cleared it. When you reattach it make sure there are no dips in the line. Gas overflow can get in there and sitting fluid is enough to block tube

Linda S