Back up Genset

WME

Well after a 16 hr black out in -20 degree weather, we now have a  generator switch over panel. It has 5 circuits that power the refer, freezer, furnace, living room and bathrooms.

The drill is start the generator then hookup the power cord to the panel and flip the safety transfer switch.

The generator is a HF 2000w inverter set. They were on sale for $429 recently. After a couple hours of breakin time it will start at -10 degrees. As long as the refer and freezer don't try to start at the same time all is golden.

If the future outages get ridiculously long,  I have a 30 amp to 115 cord that will let me use the 4K Onan in the motor home' Then I won't have to fill the tank on the HF generator every 6hr. Come summer we suffer a bit as neither generator is big enough to run the house AC.

22 minutes ago, WME said:

Well after a 16 hr black out in -20 degree weather, we now have a  generator switch over panel. It has 5 circuits that power the refer, freezer, furnace, living room and bathrooms.

The drill is start the generator then hookup the power cord to the panel and flip the safety transfer switch.

The generator is a HF 2000w inverter set. They were on sale for $429 recently. After a couple hours of breakin time it will start at -10 degrees. As long as the refer and freezer don't try to start at the same time all is golden.

If the future outages get ridiculously long,  I have a 30 amp to 115 cord that will let me use the 4K Onan in the motor home' Then I won't have to fill the tank on the HF generator every 6hr. Come summer we suffer a bit as neither generator is big enough to run the house AC.

Not sure on the HF units but is fairly easy to make extended tanks for the Hondas, can't be that much different?

I have a 5KW Honda that lives in the basement it is a daylight basement so I just roll the nice warm generator out the door give the key a twist and off it goes! I'm kind of stuck with some thing 240 volt and some guts due to the deep well pump but I can run the entire house with the 5KW even a couple of burners on the electric stove. Back in the 98 ice storm we had no power for 9 days in the dead of winter I worked in a big city 50 miles away they had power so I could get fuel for the generator I could have skipped that.