How to keep the alternator from over charging the house battery? Or, do I need a new battery isolator?

Bikemike

I wonder if I should get a new battery isolator...with the engine on, the volt meter says 14.8 or more at the battery. Are isolators supposed to limit the flow of current to the house battery?  What is too high of a voltage to send the Deep cycle battery? And how can I control that?

image.jpeg

Edited by Bikemike

The isolator does not regulate any thing it just blocks the current flow between the two batteries when the engine is off. The voltage should be very close to the same at the truck and coach battery. Check them both and see what you come up with, that voltage is a bit on the high side. Let's put it this way it's not the isolator it's self causing high voltage.

6 hours ago, Maineah said:

The isolator does not regulate any thing it just blocks the current flow between the two batteries when the engine is off. The voltage should be very close to the same at the truck and coach battery. Check them both and see what you come up with, that voltage is a bit on the high side. Let's put it this way it's not the isolator it's self causing high voltage.

Thanks. I got 14.5v on the truck and 14.8 on the coach the last time I checked (the vehicle is disabled presently). I think I've seen it a little higher. 

If this is just after the MH has not been run in awhile it maybe fine but normally it’s a bit high. The difference in the voltage between the two is not enough to raze concerns because of the variables with volt meter probes.

Yes other wise it would be 24 volts 14.2 is a good charge rate on a start up. It can take as much as 10 miles driving to over come the current draw of a start up. The solid state isolators do not share battery voltage the relay types do.