12v converter browning out when on AC power (Progressive Dynamics 7231)

GinjaTurtle

Occasionally when I am on shore power or running my generator I'm getting brown outs (power failures that last 1-2 seconds) on my 12v systems. I believe the problem is the 12v converter inside my Progressive Dynamics 7231 power box. I have already disabled the battery charging feature (by unplugging the circuit board), now I think the converter is on the fritz. 

My plan is to replace it with a  Progressive Dynamic PD9140AV RV Inteli-Power 9100 Converter/Charger 40 Amp. (amazon link). I intend to find the 12v line coming out of the power box and hook it up to this new box, then wire the 120v AC connection in to the distribution panel directly.

My existing set up (see attachment for details) is that I have a Marinco Guest 20amp charger powering 3 deep cycle batteries (as well as 200watts of solar). With this, i do not need the "charge wizard" features of the Progressive Dynamics converters.

My questions are:

• Should I (can I) disable the charging features of this converter? 
  • Would it be better to replace the Progressive Dynamics 7231 Power box entirely? I don't really want to redo all of the AC wiring if I don't have to.
  • Can I remove or disable the Converter/Charger features of the 7231 so that they don't power up when I'm on AC power (I believe the charging features are already disabled)? 
  • Am I missing something here?

Charging System Diagram-lores.jpeg

If you remove the converter/charger and the load center as a unit you will find that the charger/converter is fastened to the back of the assembly it can be removed and unplugged from the load center and discarded and the load center put back in place for the amount of weight you save you'll be able to carry two extra cases of beer. The 12 volt wiring will have to be tinkered but the AC stuff can be left alone. The old converter has a relay that disconnects the battery from the coach when the charger is on so the battery wire and the load will have to be connected together and the relay eliminated (it will go with the charger as it's part of it). Word of caution the relay is powered by 120 volts AC so be sure your power is off. I'm not sure that the way that system is configured that you need to replace the converter/charger there all ready is a charger in the circuit and that will over come any battery loss with the lights running. That is an extremely elaborate system I think I would have used about 50% less parts.

This is what I think i heard you saying: 

Yes, I should buy this new converter.
I can remove the old converter by pulling out the entire power center, removing it and replacing the power center. 
There are two 12v wires coming in to the old converter. One is to the battery and the other to the load. These will be wired together when hooked up to the new converter.

Let me know if i am understanding everything right. If I am, then it sounds fairly simple. 

I know the system seems elaborate, but it has been working well for about a year now. The reason I designed it this way is that I wanted to preserve the existing house battery (which I had recently replaced) while still adding capacity. This required me to have two separate battery banks and all of the associated infrastructure. Now the second battery acts as a "reserve" and I can switch to it when my primary pack is low.

Edited by GinjaTurtle

Yes you should be able to lay the load center over on the floor you may have to pull some wire staples to give you enough room the charger is on the back and screwed into the load center. No I don't see a need for the converter you all ready have a charger in place it should over come any battery loss due to lighting as it like a converter it would come on once it's plugged in so you all ready have a means to keep the battery up and light the lights. The caveat would be a DC draw greater than the existing charger output. I basically did the same thing with the batteries in mine but used a combiner and a single 45 amp converter/charger. 

Oh yeah....of course. I suppose I've already got a 120vac to 12vdc converter....my battery charger. duh.

Thanks for straightening me out on that. I am just going to eliminate the old converter (and likely my brownout problems) and just wire the 12v lines together in there. This is going to be very simple and like you said...I'm going to be able to get this ancienthugeheavynoisyhot converter out of my life.

As long as the 12vDC amps I draw is less than amps going in i'm still going positive on the batteries. Even if there's a moment where i draw more than the 20amps my charger is making, I'll just dip in to the batteries a bit and it'll make it up when the demand drops back down. This is easily monitored with my meter and i'll be able to take steps if necessary. 

I'll do the wiring tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

If you did the wiring for the other stuff you'll soon see how they separated the charger and the converter. The reserve capacity of the batteries will more than make up for any surge current and it would be doubtful that their voltage would drop much you would have to run some pretty heavy stuff to bother them. The only other thing would be the inverter but you have delt with that before and know what it takes to recharge them and it would not be some thing you would run with city power on any way.

I took it apart yesterday and it was just like you said. 15 minutes later I was 20 pounds of junk lighter, and no more brownouts! Thanks for the help. We can mark this one solved.