1989 Itasca cook top

Pogoskm

Hey guys , 

I just bought a 89 Toyota Itasca 21' and couldn't be happier . It is in great condition however I have a couple projects to do to it before I drive it out west. I have a job in Yellowstone this summer. I was getting it inspected and it was brought to my attention the cooktop is something the guy has never seen before. It is a cramer 4 burner, no part number or any other info on the product. It has no fire pan underneath which he said is a big problem. Do you guys know if this cramer unit is original or something someone threw in. The right two burners work but the left two don't want the bottom left wiggles and has a small leak. Should I try to fix this unit and find the pan or just get a new cooktop? We are on a budget so we don't need the finest product , or even 4 burners, just something that works that we can cook on. I'm sure I will post a few other questions about random stuff with the rv this next month, so I appreciate any and all input from you guys. I'm so excited to be a part of this community! 

Pogoskm

Well I don't have an Itasca but the Cramer cooktop is made by Dometic. One of the largest RV appliance companies in the world. Maybe someone took your model apart and didn't put it all back. A picture would help. new 3 burner cooktops can be found on EBay in the RV section for about 150 bucks.

Linda S

As Linda said, new 3-burner cooktops are fairly inexpensive. I would highly recommend you replace your existing unit. The four-burner units have tiny little burners that don't cook evenly, and the spacing is so tight, it's difficult to fit even just two larger size pans next to each other over the burners. The 3-burner units solve the problem, for the most part. The burners are larger and the space around each one is greater. Still not like a regular house stove, but definitely an improvement. Also, you can get them with piezo igniters so you don't have to do any wiring or hand light the burners every time you use them. You may need to be handy as a carpenter though to adapt the newer cooktop to the original installation location. I know I did on my 85 Dolphin. The new one fit, but I had to do some modifications to make the counter top line up with the front edge, and also some trim work to hold it in place.