Alyssa

Hi everyone!

i have a 1986 sunradar. I used the oven once a while ago and when I turned up the temperature to get it going, the thermometer exploded and now there is mercury in the bottom of my oven. I was going to try to get an rv repair shop to remove/replace the thermometer for me, but because it's mercury they won't do it. I would really like to keep the oven/stovetop unit since the stovetop works, and I think that the oven can work again... is there any way for me to make the repair on my own? 

Is this some thing that was placed in the oven? I don't believe there is any thing in the oven that has mercury in it normally. 

Hi! Thanks for your replies. So I guess I'll take a better look around in there to try to find the source of the mercury... would it be worth it to take it in to an RV repair? I just am not sure what I'm looking for. How would I know if the thermocouple is damaged/where is it located? Thanks again for your knowledge and help :) 

agree I think the stove is contaminated beyond use . my dauter bought a house  that had had mice in the oven walls we were told and it makes sense that you would be cooking the mouse waste out of the oven insulation into your food .  if you dump in a junk yard or dump don't tell them it had mercury in it .

At a hospital I use to work years ago someone broke a blood pressure unit (the old type with a mercury read out) and we had to call the Hazmat Unit to clean the spill! Very dangerous stuff! No way to clean it out of your stove. Mercury clings to metal and heat would make it vaporize resulting in Toxic fumes. Do Not dump it somewhere as an unexpected person might pick it up and use it! Needs to be properly recycled. My two cents.

Now that's funny Derek... I did also! Dad brought home mercury from Goodyear Aerospace and we used to coat dimes with it, etc. My main concern for this is inhaling the fumes if the oven is lit! Now that's Dangerous! Not sure how much mercury the OP has in the oven but in that small enclosed space could be Very Toxic!!

Interestingly read Derek! So that little oven would be like an incinerator releasing toxic fumes. We played with mercury as kids but I Never inhaled the fumes. You??

I guess it is an issue but I'm still kicking as are my older sisters one is 79 and we all played with mercury. They do sell clean up kits just don't vacuum it. 

When we were young, one of our favorite things was putting a pool of mercury in our hands and swirling it around...it would spill and hit the floor and blow into a thousand tiny balls...was never cleaned up and we did this a lot!!

Wow, this thread has some treasures in it! Thanks again for all your replies. Maybe I should just bring it into the rv repair place and have them take a peek... any suggestions on where to get a stove/oven combo for a good price, in case it needs to be replaced? I don't want to live in there with mercury in my space although I don't think it would nessecarily kill me (right away) but constant exposure might... and it's really not a lot of mercury... just a tiny bit in the bottom of the oven.. and I never open it or store anything in it. But having an oven would really be a nice thing... I love baking. 

Don't quote me on this but if I remember correctly from Chemistry class (man that was 42 years ago!) when mercury is heated ot turns into a powder (red?) first before vaporizing. Personally, I'd never use that stove Alyssa with even a small amount of mercury and the risk of inhaling a little of it. Just my opinion! Good Luck!

I'm confused.  Just exactly what was the mercury-filled item that exploded in the oven?  Was it a small thermometer?  A big one?  How much mercury is in those things, anyway?  Did the mercury splatter everywhere or is it laying in some sort of pan or shelf in the oven?  If its in a small, coherent blob in the oven, why not just pick it up with something and dispose of it properly?  Use a good flashlight and do a search.  How hard can it be?

John

anybody else on here ever go to an antigue dentist had a filling hand mixed silver and mercury in a morter and pestle I have about 50 years ago even then his            office  was like the 1920s. very nice old timer long gone .

just a thought. possibly make some inquires at a local high school or university (chemistry department) maybe you could be directed to speak to a teacher/professor, for clean up advice and or potential danger in using the oven after clean up ?? might be worth a try before replacing??  where i live in dover, we have an ohio state university extension office. i have called them in the past and they have directed me to someone that could answer my question. joe from dover

Gold will attract mercury. And visa-versa. Worth a try for removal.

Definitely would not take a chance with the stove again.

Can you research the internet and post a picture of the exploded thing or a picture of the remains of it.

Well I do see that many of our older stoves do indeed have a mercury bulb instead of a thermocouple to control when the main oven burner comes on. So even if she managed to get someone to clean it enough, the oven will still not work and those mercury parts have not been available for quite few years now. Mercury off gasses even when not being heated and it collects when in an enclosed space like an oven. It needs to come out of there and she really shouldn't be sticking her head in there trying to take pics.

Linda S

9 hours ago, linda s said:

Well I do see that many of our older stoves do indeed have a mercury bulb instead of a thermocouple to control when the main oven burner comes on. So even if she managed to get someone to clean it enough, the oven will still not work and those mercury parts have not been available for quite few years now. Mercury off gasses even when not being heated and it collects when in an enclosed space like an oven. It needs to come out of there and she really shouldn't be sticking her head in there trying to take pics.

Linda S

Well, in that case, never mind...

John