Flex solar panels on metal roof?

deannak

Has anybody installed flex solar panels like this on a toyhome with metal roof? It says it bends up to 30 degrees, but my roof is a bit wavy and I'm wondering how well that will work. Anybody tried it?

https://www.amazon.com/SunPower-Flexible-Connector-Charging-Compatibility/dp/B01DXYNGA0/

Thanks!  :)

It will work as well as it was designed to work. Meaning it does not have to be flat. I've had a few friends that used them on their sailboats. The cabin tops are always curved to some degree. No problem at all. Now when it comes to traveling down the road at 50 mph.......not good. I would use a solid design. Good luck.

They kind of look like a temporary panel it has grommets to hold it down not some thing I would want to drive down the road with.

I'm not up on current solar.  Is this a reasonable price for the watts listed? 

On 2017-02-16 at 9:53 PM, linda s said:

Used on marine applications lots. Only way I would go. No you don't use the grommets. You use heavy duty velcro that wraps around the edges or glue them directly to the roof

Linda S

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/solbian_solar_panel

I agree with that but the web site also said it was to make it easy to stow in ruff off shore weather. They do make panels just for glue mounting but flat mounting will reduce the output due to heating so that could be a consideration in an instillation if you are looking for max output but probably would not a a battery charging issue in a MH.

On 2/16/2017 at 7:53 PM, linda s said:

Used on marine applications lots. Only way I would go. No you don't use the grommets. You use heavy duty velcro that wraps around the edges or glue them directly to the roof

Linda S

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/solbian_solar_panel

The velcro idea looks nice in that it's possible to detach the panels if I need to remove or replace them for some reason.  If they're glued directly ot the roof, that could be a bear.  But on a metal roof, it seems like the velcro would allow water to get under the panels. I was hoping to keep that dry.

Is there some way to use velcro and still keep the water out that I'm not picturing?  Thanks!

On 2/18/2017 at 7:20 PM, BobBeery said:

I'm not up on current solar.  Is this a reasonable price for the watts listed? 

The ones I'm looking at are Suoaki flexible 100W for $180. Weighs 4.8 lbs.
https://www.amazon.com/SunPower-Flexible-Connector-Charging-Compatibility/dp/B01DXYNGA0/

There's a pretty wide range to compare it to, but Renogy rigid monocrystalline like I used to have are 100W for $139. Weighs 16.5 lbs.
https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-Volts-Monocrystalline-Solar/dp/B009Z6CW7O/

5 hours ago, linda s said:

Well the link I posted was about using them on a boat and large boats at that. They are getting not just rain but salt water under them. It must not be that much of a problem

Linda S

Some folks just wont let go when they get an idea. They toss it around and ask questions and just dont listen. I say take the flex panels, glue, paste, velcro, or whatever your little heart desires. Learn by experience. Just saying.......:)

14 minutes ago, RedEmerald said:

Some folks just wont let go when they get an idea. They toss it around and ask questions and just dont listen. I say take the flex panels, glue, paste, velcro, or whatever your little heart desires. Learn by experience. Just saying.......:)

The only reason I say don't glue is because my friend who is a very experienced mechanic and built an amazing 4x4 Sunrader with a Chevy v6 in it glued his to the roof with 5200 glue. The panels died shortly after and there is no way to get them off the roof now. That glue is forever. All of these panels come from China. Most are great but you just never know. Even the best companies make mistakes sometimes. He had to install new panels over the failed ones and it's always going to bother him that his rig isn't perfect. 

Linda S

1 hour ago, linda s said:

The only reason I say don't glue is because my friend who is a very experienced mechanic and built an amazing 4x4 Sunrader with a Chevy v6 in it glued his to the roof with 5200 glue. The panels died shortly after and there is no way to get them off the roof now. That glue is forever. All of these panels come from China. Most are great but you just never know. Even the best companies make mistakes sometimes. He had to install new panels over the failed ones and it's always going to bother him that his rig isn't perfect. 

Linda S

That's why my panels sit on the ground in a home made frame that folds flat for easy storage inside.

On 2/21/2017 at 10:35 PM, Derek up North said:

hmmmm......I could maybe hook that up to an electronic stimulator  for my bad back ?!?!?? :D

I ended up attaching the semi-flexible panels to the metal roof using 3M VHB tape.  From what I've read, it's super strong, and more than capable of securing my panels.  Then I put Eternabond roofing tape around the edges to keep water and wind from getting under the panels.  Time will tell how this works, but I'm happy with it so far!

On 2/27/2017 at 10:46 AM, Derek up North said:

Something like this?

16998975_159236157924286_775239681351198

Exactly like that!  Funny, that even looks like my picture...  :D

25 minutes ago, linda s said:

Well if yours looks like that I'd say you did a nice installation job.

Linda S

Thanks, Linda!  It was easier than I expected!  (Unlike pretty much everything else!) ;)