Kohler generator doesn't put out

darrel

The generator on my motorhome just bit the dust.  It's a 2.5 CMZ Kohler in a 94 Winnebago. Last week when I started the generator I heard a popping noise like a circuit breaker. It either came from the control panel or the generator couldn't tell. Now when I check the voltage it is only putting out 5, 5.2, 5.6, 2.4, 5, it bounces around. I have checked voltage at the wires coming out of the generator as well at the control panel, the same numbers. The on-off switch at the generator is working as it should. I revved up the engine manually and got voltage readings of 20, 30, all the way up to 70 volts but when it drops back to normal operating RPM it now puts out 6-6.2 volts. Is there anyone out there that can help me?   Darrel

Well I found a service manual.

http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/tp5403-service-manual-25cmz-kohler-rv-generator-p-804.html

I have an owners manual but it really doesn't go into troubleshooting at all. You should know that even if you find out what's wrong there is a good chance you won't be able to get the part. Motor was made by Tecumseh so you can look into info from them too but output should be all Kohler parts

Linda S

Thanks Linda, I'm not to optimistic.

I really think it's an electrical circuit not operating properly. If your good with electrical stuff lots of times you can jury rig a replacement. If you figure it out try https://www.jackssmallengines.com for parts. They have more than anyone I know. Not for that generator though no one does but maybe a similar part from a newer gen set would work. Also try eBay. Crazy lot of old stuff there.

My Kohler didn't start for a couple of years. Thought it was completely dead. Just last summer I was cleaning out the camper and had table out and was looking at the gen set start button and pushed it just for the hell of it. Started right up. Crazy

Linda S

Thanks again Linda, I just googled "TP-5403 service manual" and was able to down load it to my computer. Now I have names of parts and will be able to do more testing.

Darrel

I have the service manual - PM me an email & I will send it to you.

PS:  I have had 2 toys & 3 kohlers - pieces of crap in my mind.  The mufflers were shot & not available. I was about to make one when the last one slung a rod.

• 1 month later...

I just removed the Kohler generator. Going to take it to a RV generator technician. Have already met with him. He checked out the generator while it was installed. It puts out about 5 volts, The field, windings, so forth check out good. Problem is in the rotor circuit board. It has to be removed from the bottom of the generator and repaired. Hope to deliver on Wednesday.

Linda I will let you know whats-up.

Darrel

IMG_0484.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

Darrel, I know I'm not responding on the right forum subject but I'm not too smart on how to send you a "message" on the forum so I felt at least I could respond to your message about the unit you picked up in Quartzsite. Yes, I'm certainly interested and your pictures on the forum are exactly that way my monitor looks with the Sea Breeze name.

I'm sorry that I'm answering you this way but I wanted to let you know that I received your message and wanted to let you know I'm very interested.My Email address is   jb50hb@yahoo.com

• 6 years later...

Anyone know if the 2KW GENERATOR n 1990 warrior. model info. ?  I know it waz 7.5 hp. TVM ??? 140 MAYBE ??? Any help be appreciated as im trying to cross reference for new 

Engine ? Or any suggestions where to Best search for an Existing used units ?? Found one n Canada n 2018!! Haha. Hard to comw across i search every year everywhere ,every site. !  Thanks  

My Kohler model number is 2.5CM-RV. That's 2500w. The TVM 140 is the engine which was made by Tecumseh. Finding a working one after so many years would be pure luck. Jacks small engines

Lawn Mower Parts | Small Engine Parts - Jacks Small Engines

Used to have parts but now it's limited to a few gaskets and seals.

I see a few parts on eBay and Amazon.

Here's the manual

Operation Manual, 2/2.5CM (TP-5145) (pdxrvwholesale.com)

Linda S