Running AC with 15 Amp Service

markwilliam1

I have a 11.5K AC. I don't have a 30 Amp service near the RV. Is it possible to run the AC with a heavy-duty extension cord and adapter connected to a 15 Amp service?? Stupid question?? Would like to have it cool inside while I paint Grannie's interior thus summer. Thanks!

The HD extension is the key.

I believe it's about 25 feet from my 110 15 Amp outlet to the RV. I can shorten that significantly using the RV' s  shore power cord. What gauge extension cord would you recommend? It's good to know this will work as having an electrician install a 30 Amp service would be Expensive! Thanks!

I would use a 12 gauge cord.  Also use the shortest cord possible.  When I bought my Escaper, the woman had a 50 ft 14 gauge cord connecting the RV to her garage to show me that the AC worked.  When I unplugged it to take the RV for a test ride, I showed her that the cord was so hot that I could not comfortably hang onto it.

In addition to the AC running, the converter was also trying to charge the dead coach battery.

Thanks Bob! 12 gauge it is. If I bought a length of 12 gauge wire and attached my own plugs would that suffice?

Yes, if you get heavy duty plugs 20-25 amps. You can buy outdoor (underground)  house wire 12-2 with ground and it would weather better than just regular romex

(inside wire).  Most camping  stores and BIG BOX home improvements have the wires already made up you could use but I think they may  cost more.

e-bay or amazon might have just what you need and the right price.

Thanks All! jmowrey great idea! I'll buy an RV extension cord. You are connected to a 110 volt 15 amp service with your RV extension cord right??

The MH power cord is a #10 wire. The limitation is going to be the 15 amp breaker in your house if that is what your outlet is it is also a #14 wire so it's run from the power center needs to be part of the equation. Voltage drop and current go together when the voltage is lowered the current draw goes up. If the outlet is on a 20 amp circuit it will be a #12 wire and you probably can get away with it either buy a quality minimum #12 SHORT extension or move the MH closer to the house. Voltage drop will also make the AC work harder and lower it’s efficiently.

It's a 15 Amp breaker Maineah. My RV is about 25 feet from the outlet. Going to use a RV extension cord and adapter to connect to the 15 Amp outlet. Worst case scenario would be a tripped breaker?? Thanks!

2 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

It's a 15 Amp breaker Maineah. My RV is about 25 feet from the outlet. Going to use a RV extension cord and adapter to connect to the 15 Amp outlet. Worst case scenario would be a tripped breaker?? Thanks!

Well I can tell you this the MH AC is on a 20 amp breaker. Will it work? Probably but it's marginal your only looking at 1800 watts from a 15 amp circuit.

There are many 11.5k btu roof units running on 15 amp circuits all over the country.  If you use a minimum of #12 wire for your extension cord you should be fine.  You may run into the house breaker tripping several times.  If it does it is likely old and weak and needs to be replaced.

I run myn all the time at home . but I have deadecated  20 amp breaker on 12 guage wire. with no ext cord only a short step down adapter . never has tripped yet .

Thanks! jjrbus I have a new service panel so I guess the worst that could happen would be a tripped breaker. Will give it a try!

Consider this when a motor starts its inrush current is at 220% that does not include head pressure of an AC system. Like I said it probably will work but you need to be sensible about it no 50' #14 cords and trying to run every electrical device known to man at the same time. markwilliam1 if it's a new panel check and see if your circuit is a 15 or a 20 amp it really depends on who wired it or if it was a contract job  using 15 amp circuits saves money on a contract job where they can by code but a 20 amp circuit is often used where a heaver load is expected or required by code. The only thing I will use 15 amp circuits on is lighting.

Thanks maineah! It's a 15 amp circuit. Will only use a RV extension cord and will not have anything running in my garage and I Will be Sensible!

Hey kuzbro, I also have a Honda 2000i and it operates my AC fine but I don't want to use it while @ home if I can avoid it so will try the 15 amp outlet. If it trips then out comes the Honda.