I'm looking at buying an 84 Huntsman, how do I determine if this vehicle is subject to the axle issue, and if it is, how much will it cost me to address? why can't I just leave it alone, it's been that way for 33 years?

thanks! I'm new :)

If your rear axle has 5 lugnuts its the older unsafe axle. These axles were never intended to have duel tires attached (foolies). They put excessive stress on the axle shafts causing them to break. Because the axle is a "semi-float design", the tires could actually detach and fall off.

You want to have the 6 lug "full-float" to be safe. An upgrade from 5 lug to 6 lug will run you into thousands of $.

I know a guy who bought a Huntsman and thought the same thing. it's old and it hasn't broken yet so why bother. Well on his first long trip with lots of valuable stuff in it, it broke. Found a place who replaced the semi float axle but there was no full float anywhere near there. Cost him a bundle anyway. Well that one broke too. By the time he got home he had paid about twice as much for repairs as the RV cost in the first place. Murphy's law says when it does break you will be on some remote camping space where even a tow truck will be hard to find. Not worth taking the chance. Find a rig with the right axle. Will be far cheaper than fixing this one

Linda S