Leak - How to find / fix?

Hey Guys.

First time RV owner and new happy owner here of an 85' Toyota Sunrader 21' Rear Dinette layout. Had it only a few days and it has been raining the past few days. Today I noticed the small "closet" that houses the plumbing for the bathroom, just to the left of the bathroom door. I noticed it smelt a bit funky. Part of the carpet closest to the fiberglass shell was damp. I lifted it up. It was all funky looking and the floor panel was soggy and soft! I'm not sure what to do or where this leak is coming from.I checked other adjacent walls,  cabinets and closets and it's all dry.  I ran the water pump and ran some water in the bathroom sink and didn't see any water leaking out of the plumbing. So the dampness is most likely something seeping from the rain? Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can update with photos tomorrow.

Thank you!

Check clearance lights, all roof vents. Dead give away if it's the plumbing anywhere the water pump will not completely shut off with it on but all the faucets turned off. It will keep kicking in cause water is coming out of the pipes somewhere. Rear window. Don't know your floor plan. Bathroom window if a 21 foot model. Lots of possibilities. Any opening in the fiberglass shell is suspect

Linda S

Might pump for a little bit but it's pressure sensitive so once the water pressure is correct it stops. If it's still running there's a pipe or your toilet leaking somewhere.  Yes pump running means it's not coming from outside

Linda S

Two thing I would check one is the stink pipe on the roof make sure the sealant is good around that and if the hot water tank is in the same area it too is suspect they tend to get small holes in the bottom of the tank with age and will leak even when the pump is not on.

To update. I decided to pull out all the upholstery on the cabover and inspect further. Yikes, there was a small puddle of water there too and the front part of the cabover is a bit soft/soggy especially against the front right corner. Looks like water leaking in from the front right front corner, below the window. Wonder if it's a leak from where the running lights are? or the window? What's involved in patching this up for good? Do I need to reseal the remove and completely reseal the windows, or what? I have 0 experience with this. Do I need to replace the wooden floor on the cabover also? I feel like this could be pricey. I'm such a newb. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Edited by 85Raderguy

Do you have flat windows in the front or are they the wrap around plexiglass windows. If flat easy to remove and reseal with butyl tape. If plexiglass a pain.

For bed area pull out the cushions. Remove cover, it zips off and wash at laundrymat in big washer. My Sunrader cushions have always washed up nicely. Let wood dry. maybe put a small electric heater in there. Also to make sure it doesn't mold I use a solution of Oxyclean and water. Sponge it on before you dry the area so it can dry in. There's fiberglass under that wood so if it's not too rotten it's probably fine. For a clean surface you could put in some 1/4 inch luan.

Linda S

Well they usually leak because the locking strip around the edge has degraded. Have to buy new stuff. Think it's 1/8 for the window and 1/4 for the fiberglass. Just google locking weatherstrip. Need to do it when it's warm so the plexi won't crack. I have done it but telling someone far away how is hard. Easy way. My friend went to one of those shops that makes car wraps. He had them wrap the front nose with clear and you can't even see it. Covers the clearance lights too so make sure the bulbs are new. Cost him less than 200 bucks. Don't know how long it will last though

Oh and if you try to reseal the window you must rig up a scaffold. I didn't one time lost my balance for a second and dropped the window and broke it.

Linda S