Just got 85 Escaper 65k with right 6 lug axle but leaf springs are flat. Spent 2 weeks with parts wholesaler searching for 4 and 5 leaf  with no luck.   May try guy in Akron to re-arc but that's 7 hrs away.  How many leaves should I have for good ride?  This only has 3 I think.  All suggestions welcome.

Hi Mike, I think the trip to Stuver Springs shop on Main St. Akron Ohio will amaze you! I have an 86 Granville that sat so low in the back I couldn't access the spare and it scraped constantly. I replaced all shocks with Bilsteins. Didn't raise the rear but helped the suspension immensely. I don't have air bags. Knowing about the Stuver Shop as I live nearby I went there. It's an Old School shop from back in the Rubber Co. days. They don't take appointments so 1st come 1st serve. Expect a Long wait! I got there @ 7 Am and waited till noon before they got to my rig. They don't recommend or install air bags. What they did was removed the worthless helper springs. Disassembled and re-arched the springs and they added 2 heavy duty leaves on each side. They also replaced all the bushings. Worked on my rig for hours! Amazing results as the new arched and additional leaves raised my rear by @ least 4 "!! Total bill $394. So I don't need air bags now and All is Good! Can't say enough about this shop. Well worth all the hassels. These type of shops are far and few these days! Good Luck! Mark

Edited by markwilliam1
error

That is a good price.  Around six years ago I had one leaf added each side on an 87 Dolphin plus new bushings but no re-arching.  Cost $400.  Last year my 90 Dolphin was low on the drivers side so I had a shop add a leaf on that side only.  Supposed to be $285.  But it was still low that side so they went back and put in a second leaf and it cost total $460 no re-arching and I don't know about bushings one side only.

Wow bob! Guess so. They quoted me $100 for each additional leaves. The additional leaves were much thicker than the originals. All new clamps etc. but also with all new bushings. I think it was a steal price wise for all the work they did!

I was totally blessed to live nearby Linda! WME $$$ right way would be the wrong way for me. These leave springs were also custom made and it included the installation and new bushings & all new mounting hardware. After seeing what they did for Grannie I would easily drive 12 hours and wait for 8 more:-):-) just me though!

from what I have read, re-arcing with a press is a temporary fix. Proper re-arcing requires heating - red hot.

my camper used a part #90-205.   if you google "90-205 spring" you will see a number of places selling this spring.   With dimensions.  Maybe it will match yours.

When I bought a set in spring 2015, they were drop shipped from Harrisburg PA.  Dayton MFG.     I will attach a file that shows exact addresses.  Don't know of they will sale to the public or have what you need, but they might.   You might get your info there and get some other place to order.

dpi_map.pdf

Hey Dan, the Stuver Spring shop I spoke of has a large forge and they Do use the forge to heat and re-arch!

Dan, this shop is from the old rubber company days in Akron. They work on 18 wheelers and very large commercial trucks. Their Art is not Lost. They worked on my truck over 4 hrs. They know about heating and re-arcing. They have a large forge and huge presses! They know what they're doing. Thanks!

hey there mike w.  i too will give stuver spring a thumbs up. markwilliam1 and i grew up just a few miles from stuver.  i BELIEVE stuver has been in business for close to 100 years, (1920's maybe ? ) and i think they are still operated by descendants of the founder. they do custom fabrication of all types of springs.  summit racing (located in akron also) recommends stuver. they did some work on my 1965 barracuda way back when i was in high school (48 years ago), then as now stuver is thee spring shop for northeast ohio. obviously stuver is a long drive from the great state of kentucky, and i am sure you may find a spring shop closer, but if all else fails...stuver is your place. great work and very reasonable. good luck. joe from dover.