Keys

Godog45

New to rv life. im having difficulty in getting keys made, both for the 83 Toyota cab and the camper. ns . any on line keor on line help would be helpful.. do i locate a good locksmith that will order the blanks? will Toyota order key blanks for the cab? can i get blanks for the camper at rv dealers?  some suggestions be appreciated

Just went through the same problem yesterday. I'm a new Toyota motorhome owner myself. The one key I got with the vehicle was actually bent a little and had a crack in it. I got it bent straight and took it to home depot for a copy. Three tries and not good. Wouldn't even go in my door lock at all.

I was terrified that I was going to break it the more people that screwed with it and just gave up on the box store dummies. Took it to a "real" key maker, aka lock smith. Had two perfect keys in 15 minutes and they didn't need anything but the key, no vin numbers, no codes, not jack.

Just do it. Lock Smith.

I  was told by an employee at one of the countries largest RV dealerships that most RV access doors (not the cab or entry door)  have the same key.  He showed me that my Toyhouse key for the storage area would open many of the doors on his lot.  I found a locksmith that rekeyed my locks for me.

Yep I believe there are only 5 keys for the compartment. I removed all the compartment locks half didn't work any way or were keyed different and just used thumb locks. A screw drive is generally enough to turn the entire lock any way. The stuff I want to keep safe is inside semi good locks for the door locks and the closet now has a cam lock (the round key type that looks like a soda machine lock) 

Locks only keep semi-honest people semi-honest.  The totally dishonest will get in no matter what you do.