Converter upgrade?

Iflyfish

I have an '87 Sunrader. My last motor home was a 2005 Winnebago View and I swapped out the converter for an "intelicharger" converter. I found that with the original that my batteries, 2 six volt deep cycle, sulfated during the winter and I had to replace them, two years in a row. They were very expensive Trojans. I found the "intelicharger" pulsed 14 amps into the batteries occasionally preventing sulfate build up. No more problems and I was able to use cheap Costco golf cart batteries.

Has anyone with a Sunrader replaced their converter with a later model?

Thanks,

Life is good in the slow lane!

Iflyfish

After replacing a house battery(s) twice, most current owners of a toy swap out the OEM converter. Lots of electrical progress in the last 20 years. There several DIY posts on the site.

When I bought my RV, the original converter did not work at all so it was an easy choice.  I installed a Progressive Dynamics unit and totally satisfied with it;

When I bought my Toy it had a Progressive Dynamics in it, if it had not I would have bought one and put it in anyway.  They pay for themselves in a short time, plus not having to constantly check battery water.  

Thanks all. The Progressive Dynamic what I installed too in my 2005 View. It was called an inteli-charger and it saved me a ton of money on batteries. Any Sunrader owners who have installed these? Any idea how I might find the correct one for my 1987 Sunrader?. 

Thanks again, really appreciate this group and hope I too can help over time.

Iflyfish in the slow lane.

Wow! Thanks Derek. 

I now see this an either/or proposition, either the 9245 or 4000. The first one is like the one I installed in my View, the second one 4000 is new to me. 

Would you be willing to elaborate on the pros and cons?

Thanks again,

Iflyfish with confusion in the electronic realm.

Edited by Iflyfish
clarification

The converter will require basic electrical skills. The power panel will need electrical skills and may need carpenter skills.

Thanks WME! I have been known to shock myself with an electric tooth brush. I did find however that once the shock wore off I wasn't depressed anymore.  I will seek expert help with this. 

Thank you very much for your input. 

Iflyfishwhennotelectrocutingmyself

2 minutes ago, Iflyfish said:

Thanks WME! I have been known to shock myself with an electric tooth brush. I did find however that once the shock wore off I wasn't depressed anymore.  I will seek expert help with this. 

Thank you very much for your input. 

Iflyfishwhennotelectrocutingmyself

There are some very good videos on You tube for this.  Even if you decide to hire it done, it would be good to watch them to make sure it is done right. 

jjrbus, Thanks, great idea! I appreciate you weighing in on this. 

I really appreciate this group, I am learning a lot! 

Iflyfishwithmyelectrictoothbrushcauseit'shocking

I emailed Progressive Dynamics as to which inteli-charger would work best in my 87 Sunrader. Their reply:

What is in the 1987 Sunrader now ?

If it is a deck-mount style then I would go with the PD9200 series.

PD9200

PD9200 Manual

Service Department
Progressive Dynamics

I have been exploring those mentioned above. Any thoughts on this? All I know of what I have is that it appears to be very small. 

Iflyfishwithconvertersonmymind

I have the 9245 and added the charge wizard.  The first thing that comes to mind is do you have space around your present panel to mount it and run wires to that panel.

I find the 9245 sufficient for my needs and cannot see where I would use more than 45 amps DC.  I suspect that the 9245 provides enough charging for 1 battery, I had no issues with it on a 3 month trip.

Going with the 9245 it will be many times better than OE which people have been using for decades.

Fish guy, got pics?

I also put in a Progressive Dynamics 9245.  My original converter was mounted under the oven and the distribution panel was about 4 ft away under the sofa.  To mount the new unit I just had to unplug the old converter from a 120 volt outlet, remove the positive and negative wires, unscrew the unit and throw it in the trash.  The new one was just the reverse, the 9245 gets screwed to the deck, attach the 12 volt wires, plug the unit in.  It took about 30 minutes total.  I plan on adding the charge wizard when I get the RV out of storage.

I have seen photos on this site that had the converter and distribution panel in one unit.  That may complicate the process.

Edited by Bob C

On 1/24/2017 at 10:00 AM, WME said:

Fish guy, got pics?

Yellowtail Tuna last week, Zihuantenejo, Mexico. On lures, not flies, though there were some flies hanging around the catch! 

16265415_10212008107741707_128282984010921786_n.jpg

• 3 months later...

I found this charging wizard online, mentioned above in a reply to this post. It looks like I will not need to replace the charger to get the power surges I need to prevent sulfur from forming on the battery plates while charging over the winter........what is your experience with this?

http://www.progressivedyn.com/prod_details/charge_wizard_9105.html

Iflyfishfullycharged

My toy had the PD9245 installed when I bought it, horrible job, there is amateur and then there is incompetent. In researching on redoing I found the charging wizard and ordered one.  Makes sense to me.   

I think the Charge Wizard is now included as standard in all the PD9200 Series. That doesn't mean you might not find some old stock that don't have it, so beware before buying a 'bargain'.

http://www.progressivedyn.com/power_converters_9200.html

I'm not sure there's any real need for the 45 Amp model (PD9245) in a typical Toyota.

• 1 month later...

After some research I found this device that de-sulphates your battery as it is charging it. https://www.amazon.com/Pulsetech-PowerPulse-12-Volt-Battery-Maintenance/dp/B004I6QREK/ref=pd_lutyp_simh_1_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004I6QREK&pd_rd_r=GW5V62VK1987XDKJ97SA&pd_rd_w=oEIRZ&pd_rd_wg=DTdCw&psc=1&refRID=GW5V62VK1987XDKJ97SA

Anyone had an experience with this. I have installed a battery isolator that will allow both coach and chassis batteries to charge at the same time but will not allow the coach to drain the chassis battery. Anyone used one of these in that circumstance? Looks like a way better solution than changing out my converter. 

Iflyfishwiredforsound!

6 hours ago, Iflyfish said:

After some research I found this device that de-sulphates your battery as it is charging it. https://www.amazon.com/Pulsetech-PowerPulse-12-Volt-Battery-Maintenance/dp/B004I6QREK/ref=pd_lutyp_simh_1_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004I6QREK&pd_rd_r=GW5V62VK1987XDKJ97SA&pd_rd_w=oEIRZ&pd_rd_wg=DTdCw&psc=1&refRID=GW5V62VK1987XDKJ97SA

Anyone had an experience with this. I have installed a battery isolator that will allow both coach and chassis batteries to charge at the same time but will not allow the coach to drain the chassis battery. Anyone used one of these in that circumstance? Looks like a way better solution than changing out my converter.

Iflyfishwiredforsound!

Yes your combiner (that's what they are called) will allow the charger to charge both batteries. A dumb isolator is either on or off the combiner watches both batteries to sense voltage and acts accordingly.  Most switching charger/converters will de sulfate and they can be left on year around without damaging the batteries. I don't think you will be too pleased with the little device you posted it's more for maintenance than real charging it is an easy install but not much punch.

Edited by Maineah

Hey Ifly! That looks like a Great solution! My old converter works perfectly so it seems the only reason to replace it is to prevent the old converter from frying your coach battery while charging? I realized the new converters have more modern circuitry but other than that I see no other reason. Am I missing something?  I currently have a battery switch installed and when my rig is sitting @ home I disconnect the positive leads and hook up my Battery Tender. Maintains a safe charge but adding this unit would prevent any chance of sulfate build-up it seems. Thanks!

Also Maineah, I read the specks on the PowerPulse and it appears is is Not a batter charger. Seems it's to be used in conjunction with one. I'm thinking about purchasing one to use with my Battery Tender to prevent sulfur build-up. Way cheaper than buying a new converter and hiring someone to install it. What's your thoughts? 

In my 2006 Winnebago View I had a Progressive Dynamics Inteli Charger Converter. I installed it because it pulsed 14 amps to the batteries periodically. I used two 6volt batteries in series for deeper storage. Purchased two sets of very expensive Trojan  batteries and they sulphated over the winter TWICE as I left the vehicle plugged in during the winter BEFORE installing the Inteli Charger. Started to use inexpensive deep cycle batteries from COSTCO and NEVER had a problem after that. This is why I have been exploring the possibility of replacing the converter in my 87 Toyota Sunrader.

I started this process by having this battery combiner. The goal: allow Engine battery to charge when I have the Coach plugged into shore power. I also did not want the Coach battery to ever drain the Engine battery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victron-Cyrix-ct-12-24V-120-Amp-Battery-Combiner/172721501802?_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44840%26meid%3Dbfce19d88b77412aaa8d8c7327f36cd1%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D252844599797

Now I have found this device, which will do the pulsing of 14 volts like my old Progressive Dynamics Inteli Charger. 

https://www.amazon.com/Pulsetech-PowerPulse-12-Volt-Battery-Maintenance/dp/B004I6QREK/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

My question now is how to install it??? Where does it fit in this configuration? Where might I go to have this installed so it will work with the current configuration. If this works it will allow us all to save our batteries in a very inexpensive way.

Thanks,

Iflyfishfullycharged

I agree! Not sure how it hooks up as I don't see a power cord. I would assume it would plug in like a charger and have them both connected to the battery @ the same time??

As Always Thanks Derek! It appears the battery itself operates the PowerPulse. Interesting. I wonder how much power from the battery it consumes? Could be the perfect solution instead of replacing my fully functional old converter!

2 hours ago, Derek up North said:

"The PowerPulse is NOT a charger ..."

I have no idea how this 'black box' works it's magic. :)

PowerPulseManual.pdf

That is right, this is not a charger. It pulses 14 volts into the batteries which removes and prevents sulpher build up on the lead plates. This is ONE of the functions of an Inteli-charger. 

11 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

As Always Thanks Derek! It appears the battery itself operates the PowerPulse. Interesting. I wonder how much power from the battery it consumes? Could be the perfect solution instead of replacing my fully functional old converter!

That is my thought too. I leave my RV plugged in during the winter months when I am in Mexico. I lost two sets of Trojan batteries by having a charger/converter in my RV that did not do this pulsing. Ditto with the use of a trickle charger over the winter. This is why I am interested in this unit. I too do not want to replace my converter but want the desulphating function. I have asked the manufacturer about how to install it when a battery isolator in online. 

Iflyfishwithmytoyotabuddies

Ifly guess what? The company that makes the PowerPulse also makes a charger that you plug in. Called XC 100-P. It charges and also pulses! A combination unit. Sweet! Can keep it connected to the battery for long periods but you need a 110 outlet. I just ordered one from KMart online for crazy cheap $63.00 with free shipping. (KMart of all places!) I'm like you and have no desire to replace a perfectly functioning converter when there are much cheaper alternatives. Thanks for bringing this Company to my attention Man! 

2 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

Ifly guess what? The company that makes the PowerPulse also makes a charger that you plug in. Called XC 100-P. It charges and also pulses! A combination unit. Sweet! Can keep it connected to the battery for long periods but you need a 110 outlet. I just ordered one from KMart online for crazy cheap $63.00 with free shipping. (KMart of all places!) I'm like you and have no desire to replace a perfectly functioning converter when there are much cheaper alternatives. Thanks for bringing this Company to my attention Man! 

This is like the unit I referred to in my recent post. It attaches to the + and _ posts on the battery. My dilemma is how to connect it to two 12 volt batteries with a battery isolator installed. The isolator lets the 110 from the coach go thru the Converter and charge both the chassis and coach batteries. It will however not allow the coach to draw power from the chassis. I wonder if it is safe to simply connect this to the positive on one battery and the negative on the other????

Iflyfishelectronically

Don't know about your setup or what will work for you. I was happy to find a unit that both charges and pulses a battery while connected to a 110 outlet. Perfect for my old converter....live on!