Wireless Backup Camera

markwilliam1

So its 2017 and I would like to install a Wireless Backup Camera this Spring. I know this has been discussed before but reviews on the older wireless types were mixed. Anyone have a newer wireless system they could recommend? Ideally I would like to view behind me while driving utilizing a 4 or 5 in monitor. Thanks! Mark

I have always used a wired systems. Of all the wireless ones I have seen they sometimes have a problem with a strong enough signal to make it to the cab. I use 170 degree view cameras from ebay LINK. I use cable called Siamese LINK. It has the coax and power leads incorporated. Instead of wiring the camera up to my reverse lights I put a switch on the dash and turn the camera on or off at will. Use a lcd screen or a stereo system that has a built in screen that activate when a signal is detected from the camera. Mount the camera centered and as high as you can. Higher gives you a better depth of field. Mounting on the license plate bracket is optional but does not give you full side to side view like center. Remember to somehow seal the outside camera connections from weather. 

Thanks so much Greg and yes I did get your email Al. Made me Proud! I wrote back also. Thanks!

This is the camera I installed two years ago. Bought it at Costco for $99. It is wireless. I decided to wire the camera into the running lights. Cut a hole on the inside behind the middle running light and hard wired the camera. Have to turn on the running-head lights for power to the camera. The monitor has a button to turn if off and on, that way you don't have the monitor on when driving if you don't wont. Mounted the GPS and rear view camera on the right side of the windshield so it would not block my forward vision. It does not block vision for the passenger either.

The camera works OK to good. It collects dirt on the camera lens so it has to be cleaned off, no big deal. It can be turned on in the daytime to see behind if you wish. Bright lights have a tendency to wash out the picture. I can see down to the bumper and both tail lights. Can back up to within 1" of object. Works great to hook up the trailer.

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

I am using the wired type. I power it with 12 volts from a light fixture inside by the rear window. The monitor clips over the rear view mirror where you would normally look. It runs whenever the ignition is on day or night. I put the camera inside the cabin high, pointing out at the top of the rear window. I glued a PVC pipe half shield over the outside window where the camera is to block direct sunlight to reduce daytime glare. Picture quality is poor in the daytime but really good in low light conditions. I have a 10 watt LED spotlight also inside the rear window pointed outward that I can turn on if I am loading my motorcycle trailer or backing into a campsite after dark. I think the brand was PEAK and it cost 79$ in 2010.

Appreciate it All!  I'm looking @ a Sony night vision wireless camera system. Pricey ($350) but excellent signal strength and picture. Has a 7 " monitor. Might be to big for my dash through along with my Garmin GPS. Would like a system that I can observe traffic behind while driving! Read many reviews and it seems many wireless systems have signal reception problems and a poor picture but are a lot cheaper than $350!

I shall but just on my Wish List for now. Thanks red that also looks very interesting. Wonder how well it works in low light conditions?

I put a backup camera on my 1988 Seabreeze. I bought the camera, monitor, and wireless transmitter and receiver on eBay for less than $50. The camera is the same one on the Winabago in another post, it is even mounted in the same place, it was $13 from China. The wireless setup was $7 also from china. The monitor is 7 inchs and designed to mount on the rear view mirror, it was about $25. The system work pretty good but power for the wireless transmitter was a problem so I bought a 30 foot cable from Amazon for $10 and ran it down the back and under the Seabreeze to the cab through a hole in the firewall. The rest was easy, I hooked the power for the camera and the monitor to the ignition switch so the system comes on when I turn the key. I ran the video cable up to the monitor on the rear view mirror through the molding on the driver's side post, it just snaps off, and behind the windshield trim, there is a wire channel there and the trim just pulls off, everything is hidden and the system works just like a rearview mirror.

Sweet diskwizard, how's the picture quality and low light ability?

The picture is pretty good, I can see to backup easily and the camera provides marks to judge distances. The rearview mirror mounted display makes backing up very similar to backing up my minivan. When I am driving it gives a very similar experience to driving with a rear view mirror. The camera has 18 infrared LEDs built into it. In low light they light up every thing for quite aways, the picture is in black and white but perfectly clear. When I get a chance I will post some pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine on amazon.79 bucks. Clips on the rearview mirror with a 7" screen and camera is on the lisence plate bracket..not the best , but works fine for backing up and seeing whos behind you while driving..its hardwired..

Hi davidtan, sounds like the same one I got. I took the camera off the license plate and mounted it inside the rear window, a much better view, and also less dirt/water from the road.

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a Tadi Brothers wireless system with a monitor that clips onto the rear view mirror. It has really good reviews and I'll be installing over the next few weeks. I'll be sure and let you know how it goes with some photos as well. 

Edited by Mike Folden

• 1 year later...

Had one on mine I removed the rear view mirror because unless you want to see the interior of the MH it was pretty worthless and mounted the monitor there. The better cameras go B/W at night because they can sense infrared the better ones work pretty well in low light. Be careful of cheap wireless they may not make the trip back to the monitor.

these are having a generational turnover right now. Even on amazon, you can get a 1080p front, 720p rear dual setup in various shapes/sizes for under 40, sometimes under 30. The wire (if wired) for the rear camera is not usually long enough to reach the back of these trucks but extensions are cheap and available. The rear cameras have 4 IR LEDs embedded which means they can sort of do night vision.

In this price range, they all run the same software and have same features. The differences are cosmetic in the appearance of the display monitor such as touch screen or not. Amazon reviews are often faked but there are a few honest ones in them that describe quality issues.

Main problem seems to be the inability of the displays to handle excessively warm temperatures. Being on or near the windshield they get full exposure to the sun.

The WIFI cameras with an RCA connector as used on the youtube above are a significant notch lower in video quality -- analog 640p, no IR/night ability. Newer versions with integrated IR LEDs typically will use a 5 pin s-videoish digital cable interface.

Edited by neubie